An activity which works well for first teaching or revision, this enquiry gets students to consider the social effects of the Great Depression. Using images and personal stories, students think deeply and justify their decisions.
1. Slide 2: what connects photos? All have won awards. Which has been praised as the slide suggests? Dorothea Lange’s Migrant Mother photo (Slide 3)
2. Print copies of Slide 4 and ask students to match Depression stories (see PDF) with images; this encourages deeper reading.
3. Slide 6: Categorise cards – thinking and prioritising
4. Slide 7: true or false activity tests students’ knowledge of the problems of the Depression
5. Slide 8/10 complete decision line about the effects of the Depression on different groups. Print Slide 10 for students to complete
6. Slide 9 (Plenary): students discuss which single photo best sums up the effects of the Great Depression on the USA