Who was Fanny Calderón de la Barca? She was a 19th-century traveler whose letters provide an intimate glimpse into Mexico. Whereas the great majority of travel writing is from a male perspective, hers is a woman’s description of Mexico just a few years after its independence from Spain. A witty, intelligent observer, her letters provide a fascinating look into Mexico.
Turning the tables. Instead of analyzing another society, how do others see your society? Who has better insights, a foreigner or a native? Whereas teenagers are obsessed with how others see them as individuals, the unit asks them to reflect on how foreigners see them.
· Grammar - Preterit extension exercise on the life of Fanny
· Critical thinking. Find the theme of each letter.
· Discussion topics (3). Related to theme: How do others see us?
· Research paper. (2 large topics) Famous travelers / women writers.
· Listening. Lecture on Fanny (7 minutes, can be shorter) available on YouTube. Vocabulary provided.
· Answer key, Short teacher´s guide, Test questions.