Also included in
- Grab a bargain - History Mystery lessons for less! (Over 20% off actually!)This bundle contains lessons to help your students deduce, infer and evaluate arguments and evidence. They are suitable for middle and high school and have been a great success in my and others' classrooms. I will be crea$24.00$33.50Save $9.50
Can your students decide who Jack the Ripper was out of a cast of 12 suspects?
In this lesson they will compare and evaluate 12 possible suspects before deciding on the most likely guilty person. They will then justifying their decision both verbally and in writing. The lesson works as a knockout tournament, comparing two suspects at a time. They must apply the background information presented to them along with the suspect cards to come up with the most plausible answer.
It is great for developing higher order thinking skills especially when they have to tease out the strengths and weaknesses of each suspect. It also provides me with some fabulous display ideas using the students work!
**Update! Students can now click to read each suspect's details on the screen. Save yourself the printing and easier for distance learning too!***
The lesson contains:
- 23 slide powerpoint.
- 12 Suspect Information cards (on the powerpoint to be printed off in handout mode and cut out - they are in colour and also black and white versions to help you save some ink!)
- Information handout sheet on the five acknowledged victims of Jack the Ripper.
- 3 page detailed lesson plan.
- Tournament structure handout sheet (also on PowerPoint in colour and black and white)
The last task is to write a paragraph, if you would like a framework for this you might like to check out my 'P.E.E.L. PARAGRAPH LITERACY MATS'
The lesson is does not contain any graphic imagery, all photos of the victims are from when they were alive. But the written content on the victims, being as it is about a serial killer, is a bit gory. So I recommend this for high school more than middle school.
You may also be interested in my other History Mystery lessons:
HISTORY MYSTERIES BUNDLE!
THE TOLLUND MAN MURDER MYSTERY
THE GREAT FIRE OF LONDON
THE MARY CELESTE HISTORY MYSTERY
TIME TEAM – WHAT CAN WE LEARN FROM ARTIFACTS?
This download (free or purchased) is for your own personal use in your classroom or your home. Please do not share my resources with others unless given explicit consent by me. Please direct them to my store instead. https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Ms-Hughes-Teaches
This download MAY NOT be used in whole or in part on any distance learning course platforms including, but not exclusive to, Outschool or Udemy.
You may not share this download. You may not alter any item in this download, resell and claim as your own work. Similarly, you may not sell or share these resources with anyone and you may not use the contents of this download to create anything for commercial purposes or other commercial products. If you are an education board or school and would like to use my resources district wide, please contact me about licensing.
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Ms-Hughes-4067© Amy Hughes (MsHughesTeaches) All rights reserved.
© A. Hughes (MsHughesTeaches)