Labor Day did not exist until 1884. This one-page nonfiction passage will give students the opportunity to learn the origins of Labor Day. They will demonstrate understanding of the topic by answering text dependent questions, read and define in context vocabulary, further research the larger terms and themes in the passage, and finally, create and illustrate a holiday of their own.
* Answer text-dependent questions
* Complete in context vocabulary practice
* Identify fact, opinion, and incorrect statements from the text
* Develop an argument by drawing evidence from the text
* Create and illustrate his or her own holiday