Labor Day did not exist until 1884. This one-page nonfiction passage will give students the opportunity to learn the origins of Labor Day. They will demonstrate understanding of the topic by answering text-dependent questions, read and define in-context vocabulary, further research the larger terms and themes in the passage, and finally, create and illustrate a holiday of their own.
* Answer text-dependent questions
* Complete in context vocabulary practice
* Identify fact, opinion, and incorrect statements from the text
* Develop an argument by drawing evidence from the text
* Create and illustrate his or her own holiday