Also included in
- Wanting to create or enhance an independent reading program? Literature circles, intervention lessons, book club, choice reading arrangements? Creating the materials can be overwhelming, but reading choice is crucial to students' growth as readers, perceptions of their abilities, engagement in class$35.00$47.48Save $12.48
- Spice up your classroom's bookish culture by adding some reading bulletin boards and meaningful student activities. Use these kits to add pop culture relevance to your classroom environment.Included in this bundle are the following resources, available individually:Spotabook Reading Bulletin Board a$10.79$12.48Save $1.69
Do your students ask, Why should I read? Reluctant readers need to know why reading matters...why they should care. Even advanced teens and tweens need to be reminded of why they should make time in their busy schedules for reading. You can help students understand all of the benefits of being literate in a concrete, explicit manner. Set the inspirational tone for your classroom reading culture using these reading posters and extension activities.
The following resources are included in this product:
- 20 posters available in four different versions
- The reader in me reflection activity, which encourages students to think about their reading habits, interests, personality, and goals
- A reading mood board assignment intended to help students define themselves as readers and to identify elements that inspire them to read
- A simple "Why read?" think and research activity with an optional writing extension prompt
- A "Why read?" reference fact sheet for students that lists 18 benefits of reading and provides short explanations for each
- Suggested use and order
Use these why reading matters posters and extension activities at the beginning of the school year, the start of a new semester, or before a reading unit. The style and content of these reading activities and posters make them fitting for middle school and high school students, grades 6 through 10. While you can use these reading teaching materials with all levels of learners, it suits struggling readers who need a little extra motivation and busy teens who "don't have time to read" especially well.
You may also be interested in this related teaching resource: A Choice Reading Literacy Presentation on Why Reading Matters
Interested in browsing other unique ELA teaching materials from The Reading & Writing Haven? You can do that here!
Let's stay connected for updates, sales, new products, and teaching ideas!
A Couple Tips:
* Be sure to click the "follow" button that is located next to my picture so that you can hear about sales and new products!
* By providing feedback on your purchased products, you can earn points, which ultimately translate into cash toward future purchases...bonus! Plus, I'd love to hear from you.
©Reading and Writing Haven
All rights reserved by author.
Duplication limited to single classroom use only.
Electronic distribution limited to single classroom use only.