Why study history? We all get this question and I decided to make this video so I have a thought out answer to this question whenever it pops up in class. In this commercially produced video I comment on the following reasons for why we should study history:
• Historical context – how history helps us place things into context
• Better leader – quotes and comments about how a knowledge of history helps people be better leaders
• Packed full of wisdom – I have a terrific quote and examples of how history is loaded with wisdom
• Appreciate things -- a knowledge of history helps us appreciate the world around us on a daily basis
• Better voter and citizens -- how history can help us be better citizens and follow a presidential debate
• Historical amnesia – what would we be as a nation if we had no knowledge of our past
I also include a very quick, fill in the blank, video quiz at the end of the video. The questions are on the screen and then the answers are displayed for easy grading.
The high quality, quirky video is 22:47 minutes in length. I have included a link on a word document because the size of the video exceeds the maximum amount of space I can post on Teachers Pay Teachers.
The Past is a Blast