This two-lesson enquiry asks students to investigate why FDR won the 1932 election. It includes a range of sources and support for writing an OCR ten-mark essay question (which can easily be adapted for other examination specifications).
1. Analysis of New Driver cartoon to establish the theme of the lessons
2. Print Slide 4 for students to add notes and ideas to, and the resources PowerPoint; students should decide why voters might choose FDR or Hoover, using the sources as evidence
1. Recap last lesson's learning by deciding which of the quotations should be attributed to Hoover or FDR
2. Print large copies of Slide 20, an essay preparation sheet. This is designed to help students plan an essay on the theme of why FDR won the election. Use the sources for information.
3. Write essay as homework/third lesson assessment task