Why that Trend? Ionization Energy Mind-Mapping
Periodic Table Unit
Students will be able to…
• Define ionization energy, first, second, and third ionization energy, shielding, effective nuclear charge
• Explain why Noble Gases have high ionization energies.
• Identify that Helium is the element with the highest ionization energy.
• Identify ionization energy trends on the Periodic Table.
• Explain the whys behind ionization energy using appropriate chemistry vocabulary.
• Why that Trend? Ionization Energy Mind-Mapping
• Why that Trend? Ionization Energy Mind-Mapping – KEY
• Example Mind-Map
• Why that Trend? Ionization Energy Mind-Mapping – Poster & Presentation Rubric
• Why that Trend? Ionization Energy WS #1
• Why that Trend? Ionization Energy WS #2
• Why that Trend? Ionization Energy WS #1 & #2 – KEY
(All items compiled in 1 PDF document. Document cannot be edited.)
Additional Required Materials:
(These items are not included in the purchase.)
• Periodic Table
Students get into groups of 2-3 and complete each mind-map card. Then, students will cut-out the cards and arrange them on a poster into a mind-map. Students draw arrows connecting the cards and write explanations with each arrow explaining how the topics are related. Then, students write a paragraph about ionization energy using their mind-map. Students will then present their poster. After all presentations are complete, show students some of the best paragraphs and discuss what makes these paragraphs good (just be sure to block out student names). This will help students begin to understand good writing and explanations of chemistry concepts. The “Why that Trend? Ionization Energy WS #1/#2” can be assigned as an exit ticket, HW, or warm-up.
***This item may also be purchased as a part of the Periodic Table Unit – CURRICULUM BUNDLE
***Check out more Chemistry with Confidence Periodic Table Unit
***Check out more curriculum in the Chemistry with Confidence TeachersPayTeachers Store
***Check out the Chemistry with Confidence website