Want to encourage your students to read a book of their choice and respond in multiple ways? These generic challenges are suitable for Years 6 - 10.
The "Wide Reading Challenge Cards" offers:
* 72 responding choices to students;
* can be randomised if they are cut out and shuffled;
* creative ways of re-engaging with texts;
* a variety of ways for students to comprehend their text;
* activities based on the 'Super Six' cognitive comprehension strategies (making connections, predicting, questioning, monitoring, visualising and summarising).
1. Distribute the challenge cards to students.
2. Students select (insert number of challenges) either randomly, through negotiation with the teacher or independently.
3. Students complete their responses as they read their book.
TIPS: These challenges can be part of a broader novel study unit or used as homework for a term with a wide reading program. A minimum length for each response should be agreed upon.