I created this to give students some hands-on practice with the concepts of food chains and food webs. This will make your students THINK about food relationships in an ecosystem!
During this activity, students use cards to create food chains and then work to connect and overlap the food chains to create a food web. Both card sets are for similar grassland ecosystems, but one set is slightly more challenging than the other.
- Recommendations for pre-teaching prior to the activity, including a worksheet to ensure understanding of the underlying concepts.
- Two different sets of activity cards (blue and green) The green set is slightly less challenging because it contains less cards and only one producer.
- Student directions for two activities to complete with the cards (Activity A and Activity B)
- Student recording sheets for Activity A and B.
- Suggested answer sheets for each card set.
This can be used as a whole class activity if you make enough sets for small groups, or as a science center activity.
Check out the preview for an idea of what is included. My students really enjoyed this simulation activity. It helped them understand how food chains overlap to create complex food webs. I hope it can help your class too!
You might be interested in Food Web Energy in an Ecosystem Vocabulary Stations