Wind Erosion Lab and CER Activity Worksheets NGSS 4ESS2-1 MS-ESS2-2
Also included in
- **CHECK OUT THE NEW UPDATES BELOW! This NGSS Next Generation Science Standards for Middle School Science Mega Bundle has all of my NGSS labs, lessons, activities, assessments, projects, stems, and other resources combined into one product (most of which have been or are being edited for distance leaPrice $299.99Original Price $443.75Save $143.76
- This NGSS bundle for Middle School Science is a bundle of all of my EARTH science/geology labs, lessons, worksheets, and activities combined into one product at a DISCOUNT! All resources are aligned to the new NGSS standards and are sure to fit perfectly into your earth science or geology units! ItPrice $59.00Original Price $77.25Save $18.25
This is a FUN and ENGAGING cross curricular lesson that incorporates language arts into science through writing using the Claim, Evidence, and Reasoning format aligned to 4th grade or middle school. This CER WIND EROSION digital activity and lab worksheets explores the effects of wind erosion on life during the Dust Bowl. Students read excerpts from the novel, Out of the Dust, and gather evidence on how wind erosion changes the land in the absence of plants or water by blowing air through a straw over different "areas" using sand and toothpicks.
This lesson and lab is aligned to the Next Generation Science Standards including the 4th grade and middle school Performance Expectations:
4-ESS2-1. Make observations and/or measurements to provide evidence of the effects of weathering or the rate of erosion by water, ice, wind, or vegetation.
MS-ESS2-2. Construct an explanation based on evidence for how geoscience processes have changed Earth’s surface at varying time and spatial scales.
Day One. Students:
- Are introduced to the Dust Bowl and Great Depression
- Listen to excerpts from Out of the Dust and make predictions about what life was like and how they were affected by wind erosion
- Record what they learned in a chart
Day Two. Students:
- Draw a wind erosion experiment (pan of sand with and without toothpicks standing)
- Make a on what will happen if air is blown across two different areas (with and without toothpicks in sand)
- Write their conclusions and on what happened and why using evidence from the lab
What’s Included in this Resource:
- Student Worksheets
- Tips for the Teacher
- Answer Sheet
1. Out of the Dust book by Karen Hesse. You can check it out at your school or town library or follow the link below to purchase from Amazon:
2. Pan or container half-filled with sand (one per group and one for teacher demo) one side labeled side A and one side labeled side B
3. 1-2 packages of Toothpicks (sticking out in the sand placed close together)
4. Spray bottle of water (for teacher demo)
5. Straws (one per student)
Follow my store at this link to stay up-to-date on my latest NGSS resources! Click here!
Are you on Facebook? Be sure to follow me on Facebook for NGSS FREEBIES, updates on what I’m working on, and of course, science memes! Professor Doubter's Facebook Page
Looking for ways to assess student understanding of the NGSS on tests, pre-assessments, exit tickets, etc.? Then, check out my newest line of NGSS Assessment Questions here: NGSS Assessments and Task Questions
Interested in other Earth Science/Geology products?
Weathering Mini Unit/Investigation
Erosion and Soil Conservation STEM Project
Scale Model of the Solar System Lab (FREE)
NGSS Unit Planning Template with EXAMPLE
Looking for other NGSS lessons, units, activities, etc.? Check out my store for more here: Store Link.
Buy the bundle and have access to all NGSS resources!
NGSS Physical Science Bundle: Click Here
NGSS Life Science Bundle: Click Here
NGSS Earth Science Bundle: Click Here
NGSS All Resources Bundle: Click Here
If you like it, rate me!
If you love it, follow me!
Also check out my other awesome NGSS lessons in my store AND BE SURE TO FOLLOW ME TO STAY UP-TO-DATE ON MY LATEST RESOURCES!!!!