Winter Blues? Don't Suffer…Learn & Create!
Winter can cause the blues, but it can also be a source of learning & fun! Check out this unit for ways to engage your students in the season while practicing essential skills like reading comprehension, visual literacy, media literacy, poetry analysis, and creativity!
In this short unit, students will read a non-fiction text about how people in Iran, China, Brazil, New Orleans, and Denmark celebrate and enjoy the winter, determine the best of two web-based articles on the topic of seasonal affective disorder, read and analyze a poem by Nikki Giovanni, analyze 8 photos of winter scenes, and create a visual representation of what hygge looks like for them!.
This unit includes 5 activities, of which can be used over the course of a week. This unit would be great for the transition into the 2nd semester, the time around winter holidays and teacher workdays, or between major units.
This detailed unit includes:
- A teacher note
- A one-page non-fiction piece on how people in different countries celebrate winter, entitled: "Looking Forward to Winter: It's not all blues, chills, and darkness." Also included is a reading comprehension worksheet and answer key!
- A guided practice activity for students to evaluate two web-based articles and select the one best suited to use for a school report.
- A copy of "Winter Poem" by Nikki Giovanni, plus analysis questions and answer key!
- 8 Creative Common License photos of winter and an analysis guide for students to fill out
- A creative visual activity for students to make after learning about hygge.
Skills developed in this project:
- Close reading of a variety of text/media formats
- Developing critical thinking skills to evaluate text and media
- Using language to effectively explain judgments
- Using textual and contextual evidence to support reasoning
- Reading comprehension in non-fiction text
- Analyzing poetry for meaning, connection, and technique
- Analyzing images for meaning, perspective, and technique
- Creating a personal response in a visual format
We love followers!
Be the first to receive news about store discounts, free products, and new products! Just click the "Follow Me" star under our store name above or on our homepage.
Off The Beaten Path Curriculum & Instruction