Winter is coming! Celebrate Winter with these 15 winter themed math and literacy centers that are differentiated to meet the wide range of learners in your classroom.
MATH WINTER CENTERS
• Deck of Winter-Themed 10-Frame Cards (2 different sets: 1-9 & 1-10 with wild cards): Use these to play memory, go fish, compare…etc
• Winter-Themed Making it Big (2-digit and 3-digit versions): This game strengthens the understanding of place value. Students learn that a 2 in the “ones place” plays a very different role than a 2 in the “tens place” or “hundreds place”. It also asks students to examine a pair of 2 or 3-digit numbers and determine which is greater.
• Winter-Themed Roll, Build & Write (2-digit and 3-digit versions): Asks students to roll 2 or 3 dice (representing the hundreds, tens and ones place). Students then build their number with hundreds, tens and ones. Finally, students are asked to represent their picture with a math sentence.
• Winter-Themed Ten More (Adding 10 to a single digit number and adding 10 to a multiple of 10 versions): This popular math game asks students to practice mentally adding 10 to a single, 2-digit or 3-digit number.
• Set of 24 winter-themed playing cards: Pairs of cards, one with numbers written numerically, and the other illustrated with hundreds, ten-rods and ones. (Can be used to play memory, war or Go Fish!)
• 2 Place Value Mats (1- Hundreds, Tens and Ones; 2- Tens & Ones) Can be used to reinforce any activity)
• Winter Wonderland Bump: 4 versions of this popular dice game (2 dice addition, 3 dice addition, adding doubles, and multiplication)
• Fact Family Snowmen: Asks students to select from 60 different fact family snowmen cards. Using that fact family, students then write 2 addition sentences and 2 subtraction sentences on their recording sheets.
• Winter Themed Math Journal Prompts
LITERACY WINTER CENTERS
• 2 Winter-Themed Acrostic Poems
• Making Words: Students make different words using the letters in “Snow Is Falling”
• 2 Winter-Themed Writing Prompts with room for illustrations and writing
• Using Your Senses: Provides students a graphic organizer as they use all 5 senses to describe winter
• ABC Order: Asks students to cut out 18 winter-themed words and arrange them in alphabetical order. Once in order, students write their list on the recording page.
• 2 Winter-Themed Word Searches (easy & hard)
• Snowball Sight Word Scramble: Students are asked to unscramble high frequency/sight words and record their answers.
• In my opinion writing prompt: Students will choose which winter activity they enjoy more, and give reasons to support their opinion.
© Jillian Starr 2014
This product is intended for personal use in one classroom only. For use in multiple classrooms, please purchase additional licenses.