Let’s combine technology and the excitement of an escape room and try a Winter digital breakout! You may already know how highly engaging an escape event can be. You might also be hesitant to try locks and boxes and the prep. I have you covered! The Escape the Igloo resource is completely digital! No locks, no boxes, nothing to prep!
Students will tackle four tasks in a Google Slides presentation. Each task focuses on a different skill. This includes math problems, using a secret code with a math problem, matching winter words to their meanings, and a reading passage about igloos. When they have solved the four puzzles, they will take the lock codes they found and click through to the Unlock page in Google Forms. If they have the correct codes, they will Escape the Igloo!
What is the Escape?
Students are building an igloo on a snow day. Unfortunately, the doorway gets blocked by shoveled snow and they are stuck inside. Luckily there are four tasks and successfully completing them will allow the escape! This can be completed by one student, but the ideal number would be 2-3 as a team. The use of collaboration, sharing the work, and communication is one asset of breakouts or escape rooms!
What are the tasks?
- Task 1 – Students solve eight math problems. The answers to the problems are used in unstacking movable ice bricks. As students remove each correct answer a letter is revealed. The letters spell the first unlock code.
- Task 2 – Students use a secret code to find two numbers. Those numbers must be correctly placed in a math problem that already has partial digits in place. If placed correctly students will solve the math problem. The answer to the math problem is found on movable snowmen on the page. If they move the correct snowman they will reveal the unlock code for task 2.
- Task 3 – Students match definitions for winter vocabulary to images. As the images are moved students will find letters and those letters spell the unlocked code for task 3.
- Task 4 – Students read an informational passage about igloos and respond to questions. The numbers for the answers create the final unlock code.
- Unlock Form- students fill in the codes they collected. The answers are self-checking and students cannot advance on the form until the answer is correct.
What is included?
- 23-page Teacher’s Guide with a link to add the Google Slide presentation and Google Form to your Google Drive. The guide has step-by-step instructions if you need them.
- Instructions include how to copy the link, how to set up the file in Google Classroom, how to copy a link to the last page of the student slides, tips for every task, answers to each student task and how it is found, and more!
- Student activity in Google Slides
- A detailed Answer Key is included.
CHECK THE PREVIEW TO SEE EVERYTHING!
Why should you try a paperless breakout?
- It is truly paperless! No printing, no laminating, no cutting, no storage dilemmas, no locks, no boxes.
- Students or teams work on their own copy.
- Students use classroom devices or their own personal devices.
- An escape room or breakout is highly engaging and interactive.
What do you need to know?
- This resource was created using Google Slides and Google Forms.
- You must have a Google account.
- Having a Google Classroom account will help you stay organized and easily assign the breakout.
You are going to love this event! The very detailed teacher's guide will walk you through every part of the breakout.
Need more DIGITAL BREAKOUTS? Try these:
You might also enjoy these Winter Resources:
- Snowman STEM Challenge
- Igloo STEM Challenge
- Snowflake STEM Challenge
- Ski Lift STEM Challenge
- Snowflakes Little Flipper
- Winter Math Grade 3-4
- Winter Math Grade 5
- Winter Print and Read (printable only)
- Winter Digital & Printable Reading Passages
- Polar Regions Task Cards
- Polar Regions Nonfiction Boom Cards
- Winter Sports Escape Room
- Escape the Blizzard (printable only)
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies, and product launches:
Click here to follow my store. It’s that easy to receive email updates about Teachers Are Terrific!
Keep in Touch!
Thank you so much,
Teachers Really are Terrific!