This PowerPoint has everything you need to do a short haiku poetry unit with your class.
- This particular PowerPoint focuses on haikus about winter, but you could easily modify it to be about another season or event.
- The first slides explain what haikus are and provide examples of haikus.
- One slide describes the project goal to students.
- There are two slides that have a five-senses graphic organizer (one that they can copy into a notebook, the other is a reproducible)
- Students use the organizer to brainstorm words about winter (or the season/event of your choice) for each of the five senses.
- The students then write haikus about winter: one for each of the five senses.
- The final slide shows how students can create a booklet of their winter haikus. After they have created all of the haiku pages, you tie them together with yarn or ribbon.
I always did this before winter break. The kids had a blast writing their haikus and decorating their haiku books. Many of them gave them to family as presents.