You get 33 pages, including 5 days of bellwork and 7 fun activities to help you and your students keep your sanity between now and winter break!
Christmas Holiday Math Bellwork - 5 Days!
Take advantage of your students' enthusiasm during the week before Winter Break, with these 5 quick and easy Christmas Holiday-themed bell work pages!
Each page covers a different 6th Grade Math topic. You can use them as a review of topics you have already covered, or as a preview of what is to come later this year. Have students work in pairs or independently. Either way, you are mixing Holiday fun with 6th Grade Math. Topics include the following:
Santa's Solid Figures
Activity 1: Holiday shopping! Let your students experiment with purchasing different items off the list, using prices that I have provided. You will be amazed at how students love to pretend to be in charge of planning and purchasing gifts. Have them share their plans for the holiday! One of the three scenarios has students trying to spend the most of their budget to get a balance closest to $0.00. There are no right or wrong answers, and kids will love the freedom that Math class rarely provides.
Activity 2: Winter Holiday Math Art
- The object of the lesson is for your students to create winter holiday artwork with a 10 x 10 grid. Your students can record the number of squares for each color, and calculate the fraction, decimal, and percent for each color. I have included 2 bonus grids and worksheets for your more advanced learners! Believe it or not, your students will actually beg you for more worksheets after they finish their basic 10 x 10.
Activity 3:Winter Break Word Problems
- You can have the students work with a partner, assign it as homework, or leave it for the sub while you take a personal day! The key is included, and these 15 word problems will keep your students on task while stretching their brains just enough. The key is included. Topics include: percents, integers, LCM and GCF, coordinates, rates and ratios, measurement, converting fractions to decimals and percents, and more!
Activity 4: Santa Coordinate Grid Picture
- Unlike many other coordinate graphing activities found on this site, this activity includes all four quadrants of the grid. This project will reinforce the concept of how to plot coordinates. You receive the directions for your students (including the coordinates), a completed key, and the labeled coordinate grid. All you have to do is print! This will take your students a while to complete, but they will be experts when they are finished. If you have early finishers, have them add color to their creations.
Activity 5: The 12 Days of Christmas - This activity can be as short or as long as you want it to be. The basic task is to use the provided lyrics to write specific ratios, then illustrate a ratio from the song. However, I have also included an addition pattern challenge, and a link to an online cost investigation, that could take the whole math period, as they explore online content. You decide what works best with your allotted time!
Activity 6:Holiday Number Cube Game
- Holiday themed number cube game! Player 1 rolls all four dice and has 1 minute to use any of the four operations and the four digits showing on the dice to try to get one answer found on his side of the board. If Player 1’s answer is on his side of the board, he colors that shape. If he cannot match an answer, he passes. Player 2 then takes a turn. The first player to color all of the shapes on his side of the board is the winner. When students finish, they can create their own version of the game by choosing their own numbers and writing them on the second page. Two games, minimal teacher preparation, and a fun day for all before Winter break!
Activity 7:Holiday Math Color by Number
- Holiday themed number color by number worksheets, coloring sheet, and key! Students can work in groups, independently, or enjoy some holiday music in the classroom as they answer math questions & use their corresponding answers to their guides to choosing the correct colors.
Or, you may be interested in the Coordinate Grinch activity
! Your kids will love it!