Winter Holiday Mixer
• Go over the interview questions ahead of time so that students understand what they are asking about.
• Use a Mixed Pair Share type activity where students get up, walk around the room, and when you give the signal they pair up with the closet person to them. I sometimes give directives such as “you must pick the opposite sex on this round” or “move away from your best friend”.
• They have 5 minutes to interview one another and fill in their interview page.
• When this activity is finished students go back to their seats.
• They reflect and decide on one of their interviewees that they will write a “special news report” on.
• Discuss Human Interest stories as well as the type of language that newscaster use. (a story that will warm your heart, coming up after the break, stay tuned for a story about a family that…)
• Have students write out their script and practice it several times. This may go home to be practiced over the course of a few days or just done on the spot.
• Students present their newscast. I use a real microphone that projects the student’s voices and film using my I-pad. We watch later and have a ball.
• Makes a great writing/ oral language grade.