Enjoy these winter holiday (Kwanzaa, Hanukkah and Christmas) vocabulary activities designed for middle school students and struggling high school students. These common core-aligned packet works combines vocabulary of emotions and holiday vocabulary and addresses the following goals: word choice, synonyms, antonyms, shades of meaning, sentence construction, using reference materials to determine meaning and embedded meanings within a sentence. Here's what you will find in this packet of 28 pages of activities and no-prep worksheets:
1. Winter Holiday (Kwanzaa, Christmas, Hanukkah) Greeting Card Activity: Review greeting cards and determine commonly-used and over-used words. 4 pages.
2. Design your own greeting card for Kwanzaa, Christmas and/or Hanukkah. Write new text and use determine best vocabulary choices. 5 pages.
3. Synonym Word Choice: Review synonyms for common greeting card words and determine if one of the synonyms would fit the greeting better. 1 page worksheet, black and white.
4. Emotion words Antonym Sort: Christmas themed. 1 page, black and white.
5. Emotion words Antonym Sort: Kwaanza or Hanukkah themed. 2 pages black and white.
6. Shades of meaning: emotion words, 3 pages, black and white,
7. Make a holiday sentence using an emotion word ("my grandfather said, "happy Hannukah")
8. Emotion and holiday words worksheet: synonyms, 2 pages, black and white.
9. Emotion and holiday words worksheet: antonyms, 2 pages, black and white.
10. Embedded Meanings worksheet: Hannukah vocabulary, 1 page, black and white.
11. Embedded Meanings worksheet: Kwanzaa vocabulary, 1 page, black and white.
12. Embedded Meanings worksheet: Christmas vocabulary, 1 page, black and white.
13: 2 pages of Common Core Standards addressed in this packet, (post so colleagues and adminstrators see what you are working on in class).
You might also like these other middle and high school products:
1. Let's talk about tone: sarcasm, emotional, formal/informal (middle & high school)
2. Let's talk about emotions: middle and high school
Please leave feedback at my store after purchasing and you will earn credits towards purchases at any store on the tpt website!
If you have any questions about this packet, email me prior to purchasing at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Copyright: 2015 Donna Miazga