Products in this Bundle (3)
Are you looking to add some holiday cheer to your first grade literacy centers? These Nearpod activities are ideal for primary grade students and reading intervention students. They can be used during live Zoom/Google Meet lessons OR can be assigned to students to complete independently. It can be assigned to Google Classroom. This bundle is ideal for grade 1 but can also be used for grade 2 intervention or grade K enrichment.
The phonics fluency passages included in this bundle are perfect for literacy centers, morning work, warm-ups, fluency assessment, and daily 5. Assessments, teaching tips, and implementation ideas are all included with this product.
Have you ever used Nearpod to help support your literacy instruction? I HIGHLY recommend it!!! This is a great way for students to practice their phonics skills. Nearpod is an engaging and interactive way to deliver instruction through distance learning and/or support your math centers. You can create a free Nearpod account, and the instructions for doing so are included in this bundle. It only takes 2 minutes to sign up.
Students can either join the lesson by using a desktop/Chromebook and going to the Nearpod website OR students can use the app on a tablet/ipad.
Nearpod can be used in two ways. These lessons can be assigned to your whole class simultaneously, allowing you to control your students' screens even when in a different location. This makes it perfect for distance learning!!! It can also be assigned to individual students to complete at their leisure, again making it ideal for distance learning. I LOVE to assign Nearpod lessons as independent work during centers. It gives students the opportunity to practice when working independently. The best part is that you will have access to reports that show you all of their answers. This makes for very useful data!
ABOUT THIS BUNDLE
This bundle includes 2 Nearpod lessons: one for Christmas and one for Hanukkah/Kwanzaa. Each holiday lesson (31 -37 slides) includes the following interactive activities:
- 3 leveled matching activities
- 6 leveled slides where students read a sentence and draw a picture to match
- slides where students spell a word the teacher chooses
- 4 slides drawing activities
- 2 leveled Time to Climb games
- 3 passages each with a self-correcting comprehension question (NOTE: These passages are sample passages from my monthly reading passages product. Click here to view the product.)
How To Use this Nearpod Product:
This product is meant to be used during live virtual meetings (Zoom, Google Meet, etc.). Once in the virtual meeting, instruct your students to open the link to the Nearpod lesson. Use a digital spinner (Learning N Progress spinners coming soon) to select which game your class will play. Then, select one of those activities on your teacher Nearpod. Click share, and your students' screens will automatically be moved to that activity.
You can also send this resource as a student-paced lesson, but I recommend changing the order of the slides and/or deleting the slides that require a live lesson (i.e. spelling bee). You can also record your voice on the Spelling Bee slides if you wish to keep them. This way, students can play a variety of activities independently.
These activities are differentiated. When teaching your small groups, select the appropriate level for the group you are teaching. This makes for easy differentiation!
The December passages are holiday themed (Christmas, Kwanzaa, and Hanukkah). This product includes the following:
- a three-page pre-assessment (student copy and teacher scoring sheet included)
- 2-page student fluency tracker
- 12 leveled passages that target short vowels, consonant digraphs, long vowels, magic e words, r-controlled vowels, OR diphthongs (BOTH colored and black & white versions included)
- 6 double-sided worksheets that introduce two new words per passage
- teaching tips and an implementation guide
Here are the passages included in this December set:
- "Letter to Santa" - short a (new words - letter, baseball bat)
- "Let's Shop" - SH/WH (new words - holidays, hot chocolate)
- "Oh Christmas Tree" - EE/EA/IE (new words - Christmas, ornament)
- "Potato Pancakes" - A_E, I_E (new words - menorah, dreidel)
- "Celebrate Kwanzaa" - ER, OR (new words - celebrate, Kwanzaa)
- "Santa's Big Day" - OI, OY, OU (new words - sleigh, reindeer)
First, assess each student and identify his/her instructional level (target phonics skill and color group). Then, assign the appropriate passage for the student to practice. Once the student can fluently read the passage, s/he can "level up". These passages make differentiation easy to manage.
This product is part of a GROWING Bundle! This is the DECEMBER passage set. It is themed for Christmas, Hannukah, and Kwanzaa. If you are interested in the bundle, click the link below:
Need online lessons that help students learn to read and write CVC words?
Want differentiated worksheets for your literacy centers? Check out these products: