This file contains 10 literacy centers for kinder and first grade. Each activity was created to target specific Common Core Standards and Texas TEKS for kindergarten and first grade.
In this file you will get:
1. Beginning Sounds Match Up: Students match cards according to their beginning sounds. This file has an option to use QR codes for students to check their own work using iPads or iTouches. This is an option, but the game can be played without the technology piece. I've included a short explanation of how to use QR codes in the file. Recording sheet included.
Standards: TEKS K.3B, 1.22A, CCSS RF.K.3A, RF.1.3
2. Ending Sounds: Students match cards according to their ending sounds. This center also has the option to use QR codes for self checking.
Standards: TEKS K.3B, 1.22A, CCSS RF.K.3, RF.1.3
3. CVC Mystery Puzzles: For this center students put small puzzles together, read the mystery CVC word and record.
Standards: TEKS K.3B, 1.22Bi, CCSS RF.K.3D, RF.1.3
4. Consonant Blend Mystery Puzzles: This center is played just like the CVC puzzles center except students are working with words beginning with consonant blends. Students put the puzzle together, record the word and trace over the consonant blend in blue.
Standards: TEKS 1.3Aiii, CCSSRF.1.3
5. Short Vowel Mittens: Students sort picture cards according to their short vowel sounds and record.
Standards: TEKS K.3A, CCSS RF.K.3b
6. Long Vowel Mittens: Students sort picture cards according to their long vowel sounds and record.
Standards: TEKS 1.3Aiii, CCSS RF.1.2C
7. Sight Word Melt: Students play a sight word game, directions included. The sight words included are the Dolch preprimer list, Dolch Primer, Dolch First Grade and color words. (Blank cards included)
Standards: TEKS K.3D, 1.3H, CCSS RF.K.3C, RF.1.3.G
8. Word Family Walkabouts: Students walk around the room finding winter themed picture cards with word family words on the bottom. Students record their work. This game has two versions one for K and one for first. Kinder word families covered are: -at, -ad, -ap, -en, -in, -ip, -it, -op, -ot, and -ug. First grade word families covered are: -ack, -ank, -ake, -eat, -ell, -ick, -ight, -oom, -ock, and -unk.
Standards: TEKS K.3B, 1.3D, CCSS RF.K.3.D, RF.1.3.B
9. Digraph Flap Books: Students sort picture cards according to their beginning digraph. Digraphs covered include: sh, th, wh and ch. I've included flap books with 2 flaps and a flap book with 3 flaps. This activity can be done whole group, small group or put into a literacy center.
Standards: TEKS 1.3Aiv, CCSS RF.1.3A
10. Winter Themed Reading Response Pages: I've created reading response pages for character, setting and events. There are two versions of each response page: one with a sentence stem and one without. These can be used whole group, small group or in a center.
Standards: TEKS K.6A, CCSS RL.K.3, RL.1.3
All game pieces can be printed in gray scale if you want to save on colored ink. Please see the preview file before purchasing. If you have any questions email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visit my blog for freebies and fun!
Teachin' Little Texans