This print and digital Winter Literacy Set for Google Classroom (and other platforms) is filled with academic but engaging reading and writing activities for 4th and 5th graders. There are reading comprehension passages and printables that target main idea, text evidence, inferences using informational text, inferences using literature, author’s purpose, figurative language, informational text structures, context clues, sentence fragments and run-ons, as well as compare and contrast. There are also writing prompts and a haiku poetry activity.
This unit is winter-themed but has no holiday content. It includes lots of fun and learning that’s just right for the winter season!
4 Passages: (2 pages each with comprehension questions and a key)
Text Evidence: Polar Bears
Inferences Using Literature: Bear Fables
Inferences Using Informational Text: Snowflake Bentley
Compare and Contrast: Adelie Penguins and Rockhopper Penguins
Main Idea: Antarctica
Main Idea: Cardinals
Informational Text Structure
Sentence Fragments and Run-ons
32 Task Cards:
Cause and Effect for Winter
25 Writing Prompts Handout
Haiku Poem Directions and Examples Page
2 Haiku Poem Writing Page (one is a snowman and one to write and illustrate)
Teacher Notes for Digital with LINKS
Why you'll love this resource:
- The materials are easy to prep and to use and the digital versions are NO PREP!
- Students love to learn using seasonal and thematic materials!
- The resource includes a print and a digital format to give busy teachers more flexibility.
- This literacy set hits standards, while being engaging.
- It includes a variety of reading skills with different types of resources to keep learning fun!
- There are so many ways to use this resource, as guided reading, reader's workshop, writer's workshop, independent work, homework, literacy centers, substitute plans, and more!!!
If you're looking for more winter resources, please check these out:
Finally, if you like my work. I would love for you to follow me by clicking on the green star at the top of the page.
Have a wonderful winter season!
©The Teacher Next Door™
Purchasing this product grants permission for use by one teacher in his or her own classroom or for one homeschool parent teaching his/her child. If you would like to share with others, please purchase additional licenses.
This resource may only be placed on a password-protected website for your students, like Google Classroom™, SeeSaw, etc. It may not be placed anywhere else on the internet, on a class or school website visible to the public, or on a district server. Please email me if you have any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org.