Have literacy fun with your first graders as they learn about snow sports while meeting the Common Core Standards. The winter sports theme of this month-long no prep packet of ELA and literacy activities highlights a sleigh ride, sledding, dog sledding, bobsledding, skiing, snowboarding, ice skating, hockey, snowshoeing, and rides on a snowmobile, snowcat, snow plow, tram, chair lift and zip line.
The literacy activities include:
• reading comprehension
• writing (opinion, informative/explanatory texts)
• calendar work (reproduce as often as you need)
• short poems
• informational text with activities
• matching words
• identifying and writing words containing blends and digraphs
• writing sentences given key words
• counting sounds and syllables in words
• identifying the correct spelling of words
• writing correct verb forms for regular and irregular verbs (e.g., take, took, taken;
• word sort for nouns, verbs, and adjectives
• identifying words containing two-letter vowels (e.g., read, boots)
Nine to twelve pages of activities are included for every school day of the month in this extensive literacy package.
Download my preview and get started on winter literacy!
Thanks for all you do for kids.