Looking for a comprehensive unit to teach informative/explanatory texts to convey information clearly through writing? Teach students expository writing skills is an important part of reading and writers' workshop. Develop students' ability to effectively select, organize and analyze content through the research of polar animals. All of the ideas provided in this unit have been tried in the Kindergarten and 1st-grade classrooms with students that are considered emergent readers and writers. This unit might also be appropriate for struggling 2nd-grade students.
What is included in this Unit?
You will receive over 100+ pages:
* Informational writing graphic organizers
* Different types of papers to add text features for All About Books
* Pages to make posters
* Venn diagram graphic organizer to compare and contrast fiction and nonfiction text
* Text feature cards for student offices
* Class project to research penguins and create "All About Book" as a class
* 6 research stations include book station, listening station with passage and mp3 files, computer stations to links, iPad station, observation station about blubber
* Research booklet to record information for research stations
* Mini-lesson ideas for both group and individual projects
* Ideas for publishing All About Books
* Classroom management tips and management cards
* Conferencing checklist, anecdotal notes, and scheduling sheets
* Pencil Rubric and printables
* Individual project to research other polar animals and create "All About Book".
The animals researched in this unit include:
Penguins (As a whole group)
* 6 research stations include book station, listening station with passages and mp3 files, computer stations to links, and iPad station
Research booklet to record information for research stations
Other Writers' Workshop Products Include: