PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
A set of 6 winter themed, black and white NO PREP differentiated word puzzles with picture clues. Fun for a winter project or learning some seasonal vocabulary. Also great for EFL / ESL. Includes word search, crossword, word paths, codebreaker, missing letters and word scrambles. All puzzles are provided in two versions to allow differentiation in the classroom plus a vocabulary handout for reference. Answer keys are included. Easy to use – just print and go. Handy for fast finishers or substitute lessons.
The 20 vocabulary items included in these puzzles are: snowman, snowflake, snow, cold, coat, mittens, scarf, boots, hat, quilt, penguin, polar bear, reindeer, owl, sled, ice skates, skis, shovel, fireplace and hot cocoa. A selection of these words is used in each puzzle.
1. Picture word search – the easier version has both word and picture clues, the other just the pictures.
2. Picture crossword – a crossword with picture clues. The easier version has the first letter of each word already in the grid.
3. Word paths – draw a path through each letter grid to spell out the winter words. In one version, the first letter and last letter of each word is shown with arrows.
4. Codebreaker puzzle – version one gives a full key to the letters but version two only gives some of the letters and this information must be used along with the pictures to work out the remaining letters. The completed words are then matched to the correct pictures.
5. Missing letters puzzle – the easier one has only the vowels missing, the other has every second letter missing. The words are then matched to the correct picture.
6. Word scramble: seeing double – 8 word scrambles where the letters are given in picture grids that also include extra letters. Any repeated letters must first be crossed out, and then the remaining letters rearranged to make winter words. The easier version also gives a picture clue for each word.
7. Vocabulary handout
Please look at the thumbnails before purchasing to ensure that this resource meets your needs.
I would love to hear about your experience with Winter Puzzles in the classroom so please fill in the feedback form on your ‘My Purchases’ page – and earn points towards your next purchase too!
More fun puzzles, games and clip art will be uploaded soon to Leebling. To be notified of new resources, please click to follow my store.