Winter STEM Challenges (or STEAM Challenges) engage your students in brain-busting work disguised as fun! There are five challenges: 3 purely winter, 1 Black History Month/ Women’s History Month, and 1 Groundhog Day challenge!
The basic premise:
Students work in partners or groups against criteria & constraints lists to design and build various items using science, technology, engineering, and math skills to complete the tasks and extensions. Modification suggestions are included to make these challenges engaging and productive for students in grades 2 - 8.
This bundle includes five challenges at a great discount!
⭐ Winter STEM Challenge Snow Scoop 1:1 PAPERLESS
⭐ Winter STEM Challenge Frosted Forest 1:1 PAPERLESS
⭐ Winter STEM Challenge: Winter Waiter 1:1 PAPERLESS
⭐ Groundhog Day STEM Challenge 1:1 Paperless Version
⭐ Black History Month STEM Challenge: Functional Furniture 1:1 Paperless Version
Note: This is the digital/paperless version. If you are prefer to print, you will want to check out the PRINTABLE VERSION instead.
If you have questions about which version is right for you, please feel free to leave me a question using the product Q&A below.
Materials you’ll need to do the activity are easily modified. Materials lists can be found in the product descriptions for each individual challenge linked above or by clicking through on its page in the downloadable preview.
• Overall STEM Tips
- Suggestions on timing and whether or not to treat these challenges as competitions
- What to say (and what not to say) during STEM Challenges
- 5-event Data Tracker handout
Plus, each challenge comes with:
• NGSS aligned standards, Grades 2 – 8
• Teacher Tips
- Links to STEM Challenge How-to Videos
- Links to individual challenge walk-throughs
- Materials and timing
- Criteria & Constraints (including modifications to increase difficulty for older students)
- Measuring results
- Post-design extension activities list
- Universal STEM Challenge Tips/how to use the design analysis slides
• Student Slides
- Criteria and Constraints list
- Results and Design Analysis
- Discussion Questions
• Extension templates
- Process Flow Map
- Math Extension
- Plus, other design-specific slides
The preview shows an overview of what is included in each challenge. You can find more details by clicking anywhere on the individual challenge pages. Please don’t hesitate to contact me with any questions!
Benefits of STEM Design Challenges:
- Focus on critical thinking, problem solving, and application of learning
- High levels of student engagement
- The potential to hit upon all NGSS ETS standards depending on the depth and number of iterations you choose to implement in your classroom (modifications included)
- Highly flexible and differentiated for materials, timing, grade levels, and rigor.
Each design iteration should be planned for approximately 60 – 90 min. Again, I recommend working on STEM Design Challenges in multiple iterations to get the full value.
You might also like these resources: