Winter STEM Challenge: Winter Waiter PAPERLESS
Also included in
- Winter STEM Challenges (or STEAM Challenges) engage your students in brain-busting work disguised as fun! There are five challenges: 3 purely winter, 1 Black History Month/ Women’s History Month, and 1 Groundhog Day challenge!The basic premise: Students work in partners or groups against criteria &aPrice $8.98Original Price $17.50Save $8.52
- Super-charge your STEM class with 52 high-engagement, critical thinking, problem-solving, NGSS-aligned challenges to take you through the entire year! Modifications are included to make these activities engaging and challenging for students in grades 2 - 8. (Note: Two of the 52 challenges are includPrice $95.00Original Price $177.92Save $82.92
- Winter STEM Challenges are the perfect activities to engage your students in brain-busting work disguised as fun when they've got the winter crazies! The basic premise:Working against a criteria/constraints list in groups, students will build waiters’ trays designed to hold “snowy” 3D solids in an iPrice $5.98Original Price $9.96Save $3.98
Looking for a fun Christmas or winter activity that incorporates science, technology, engineering, and/or math? Christmas-Winter STEM / STEAM Challenges are the perfect activities because they engage your students in brain-busting work disguised as fun!
The basic premise:
Working against a criteria/constraints list in groups, students will build waiters’ trays designed to hold “snowy” 3D solids in an indoor relay race.
Note: This version is for use with Google Slides in 1:1/paperless classrooms. If you prefer to print and have students complete work with paper/pencil, you'll want to look at the PRINTABLE VERSION instead.
If you have questions about which version is right for you, please feel free to leave me a question using the product Q&A below.
This is one of five challenges available in the Late Winter STEM Challenge bundle at a ~40% discount!
NGSS aligned standards, Grades 2 – 8
- Links to STEM Challenge how-to videos
- Materials and timing
- 20 3D solid nets (this is the only paper you’ll need for the challenge; if you wish to keep it paperless, you can use “found” 3D solids)
- Criteria & Constraints (including modifications to increase difficulty for older students)
- Measuring results
- Post-design extension activities list
- Link to a video walk-through of the challenge
- Criteria & Constraints List (editable version provided)
- Design Analysis
- Discussion Questions-
- 3 Score Card Options (editable)
- Snowman character writing activity
- Writing templates
- Process flow map
- Create & solve math problems based on designs
- Video/website linked slides
Sample/suggested materials for each student or group:
(Materials you’ll need to do the activity are easily modified. )
– 3D solids or nets & glue
– Narrow cardboard strips (4 – 10)
• Cereal & tissue boxes work well. To save yourself time, give groups a box and add direct students to cut strips of a certain size (e.g. no wider than 1 inch)
– Coffee filters
– Craft sticks (4-8)
– Straws (4-8)
– Pipe cleaners (5-10)
– Masking tape (12 – 24 in.)
– 3x5 in. index cards (5-10)
– Paperclips and/or brass brads (4-8)
• Rubber bands
• Single hole punch
• Ping Pong or playground balls (if you want spheres in the challenge)
• Garbage or shopping bags (for shape storage when not in use)
Benefits of this STEM Design Challenge:
- Focus on critical thinking, problem solving, and application of learning
- Helps students develop growth mindset traits like persistence and resilience
- High levels of student engagement
- The potential to hit upon all NGSS ETS standards depending on the depth and number of iterations you choose to implement in your classroom (modifications included)
- Highly flexible and differentiated for materials, timing, grade levels, and rigor.
Each design iteration should be planned for ~60-90 min. if you are including data gathering and analysis rather than just building for fun. If you add extension activities, you will need to adjust timing accordingly.
You might also like these resources:
STEM CHALLENGE YEAR-ROUND MEGA-BUNDLE
Christmas/Winter STEM Design Challenge: 5-in-1 Bundle
Thanksgiving STEM Challenge 5-in-1 Bundle
Valentine’s Day STEM Challenge 5-in-1 Bundle
Analyze and Interpret Data Unit
Getting Started with STEM Challenges FREEBIE
Please check out the preview to see the challenge, and don’t hesitate to contact me with any questions!