This STEM project explores what millions of Americans love to do each winter-skiing! You provide the materials for students to add the A and make it a STEAM-ART! They will handcraft a snowman, send it down a slope, and compete as a team in the final event! So much fun and students learn about potential and kinetic energy OR stored and mechanical energy, depending on how your State Standard reads!
Look What's Inside the Snowman Skiing STEM!
For the Teacher
• Notes for the Teacher including Prep Work, Material Suggestions and instructions
for the video that students watch from the online source
• A Problem Description Page
• Project Criteria and Constraints
• ASK Page "How does Ski Placement and Weight affect Energy released in skiing?"
• ASK Video link page
• IMAGINE Direction page
• PLAN Directions with further criteria
• CREATE Direction page
• IMPROVE Directions page where students are prompted to make improvements.
• ALL of the above pages in a COLOR option
• TIME TO SKI Color page
• IMAGINE student work page
• ASK student work page to record information about Skies and Energy
• PLAN student work page
• CREATE student work page
• PRACTICE INFORMATION AND OBSERVATIONS student work page
• IMPROVE student work page
• REFLECT student work page where students answer reflection questions
• QUOTE page in black and white
• QUOTE page in color
• GRAPH showing potential and kinetic energy exchange
• GRAPH showing stored and mechanical energy exchange
• CLOSE READ explaining potential and kinetic energy exchange
• CLOSE READ explaining stored and mechanical energy exchange
PowerPoint Includes :
• Title slide similar to the cover of the product
• A Fun Problem slide
• ASK slide
• ASK slide video page
• IMAGINE slide
• PLAN slide
• CREATE slide
• TIME TO SKI slide
• IMPROVE slide
• Project quote slide
Students have so much fun with this project AND they have a very cute snowman to decorate their homes with through the winter!
Materials suggested for this project include styrofoam balls, brown pipe cleaners, orange sequins, tongue depressors, popsicle sticks, tacky glue, hot glue gun (adult only), hot glue (adult only), felt for hats, ribbon for scarves and anything else you can think of!
Other Items You May Be Interested In:
Holiday STEM: Three STEMS From Thanksgiving to New Years
New Years Holiday STEM: New Years Eve Noisemakers
Christmas STEM Tree Trimming
Holiday STEM: Turkey Thaw (No Real Turkeys Needed!)
Scientist Craftivity: A Project Based Learning Product
What is Energy with Erma and Ernie Energy
Force and Motion: Santa's Force and Motion Workshop
Halloween Science: Mad Scientist at Work
Please be sure to follow me for new products, 1/2 price for a limited time! Also, all TPT Teachers love feedback! Please take a minute after you download to share how you feel about any product you download!
Julie from The Best Days :)
Follow The Best Days on Facebook
Follow The Best Days on Instagram
Follow The Best Days at The Best Days Blog