Kids learn about the December solstice in this free sample of the December Independent Learning Module (ILM). A specially designed website houses text, graphics, and learning links. Student response sheet and answers are also included.
The Free Sample
This month’s free sample features informational text about the December solstice. On the website, students read a short informational piece, study a diagram, and use links to learn about solstices and equinoxes. Using multiple texts/media, they answer questions about the solstice and seasons then draw a diagram of the path of the earth around the sun. Answers are included.
What Is an ILM?
Each Independent Learning Module (ILM) merges digital content with engaging activities. The specially designed website houses texts, presentations, and learning links. It was designed to keep high third grade students, average to high fourth grade students, and all fifth grade students working independently.
How Can I Use It?
• Online Learning for All - The December ILM
provides fun, meaningful instruction and practice for your entire class. Use it all or pick and choose for specific subjects.
• I’m Done, Now What? - Let the independent learning module provide anchor activities for early finishers or enrichment activities for gifted and talented learners.
• Five Minutes Peace (and More!) - Are you behind on grading? Do you need to meet with individual students or small groups? The independent learning module will keep your students busy for hours.
The Entire Module
When you purchase the December ILM
, you’ll have access to seven more subject areas. Watch this video
to learn more.
Language - Capitalizing Titles
• ILM Online - Students click through a lively slideshow that teaches rules for capitalizing titles using holiday movie titles.
• ILM Packet - They practice capitalizing titles of holiday songs.
Listening – Drawing Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
• ILM Online - A seven-minute video teaches students to draw Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer.
• ILM Packet - Students draw their own pictures as they listen.
Literature - “Twas the Night Before Christmas”
• ILM Online - Students read this classic Christmas poem. Interactive slide shows allow them to explore its structural elements.
• ILM Packet - They record the number of stanzas in the poem, verses per stanza, beats per verse, and meter. Then they mark the accented syllables and rhyming words for two stanzas.
Math – Perimeter and Area in Santa’s Workshop
• ILM Online - Two videos teach kids about perimeter and area.
• ILM Packet - Students explore perimeter and area with two challenging problems about Santa’s workshop.
Science – Electrical Circuits
• ILM Online - Kids watch three videos and read one article to explore the basics of electrical circuits, as well as series and parallel circuits.
• ILM Packet - They define current electricity and answer questions about a diagram showing a series circuit and a parallel circuit. Finally, they tell whether they’d like to have Christmas lights made with series or parallel circuits.
Social Studies – Kids Can Make a Difference
• ILM Online - Students watch three videos to see how kids can make a difference.
• ILM Packet - They consider how they might make a difference in the world and develop a plan.
Writing – Hire Me, Santa!
• ILM Online - Five instructional videos that guide students in writing persuasive essays are linked to the ILM.
• ILM Packet - Santa is hiring elves! Students write persuasive essays to apply for the job.
A new ILM will be published each month. Follow my store to be notified as they are released.
• October ILM
• November ILM
• December ILM
• January ILM