Also included in
- Are you ready to print and have students reading in a matter of minutes? These reading comprehension sheets with informational text are perfect in so many ways. Topics are high interest and many correlate with units of study. So, get ready to tackle some science, some holiday topics, or just some fuPrice $51.00Original Price $64.00Save $13.00
- These two resources will be the perfect way to keep students engaged and learning during those long winter months. It's a perfect combo of reading, problem-solving and STEM! This 'unlock the box' event will keep your students busy completing math problems, using a map grid, and matching sports and iPrice $7.50Original Price $9.50Save $2.00
- This fabulous informational text and STEM bundle of two resources is a great way to keep students engaged. Students will read about winter sports and complete comprehension activities during your reading block. Add the STEM Challenge to build a ski lift chair and your students will definitely ask foPrice $5.50Original Price $7.00Save $1.50
Do you love wintertime and snow! Kids sure do! They are also sure to love these reading passages about winter sports. The four passages cover skiing history, famous athletes, and some unusual sports that you might like to try yourself. You will love the ease of this print and read resource! This set is not a digital resource.
NOTE: This reading passage set is available in a digital format that includes the printables.
NOTE: This resource is available in money-saving bundles:
- Winter Sports Reading and Escape Room Bundle
- Print and Read Bundle
- Winter Sports Reading and STEM Bundle
This set features upper 3rd to fifth-grade skills of finding the main idea, determining word meaning in context, finding evidence, fill in the blank vocabulary, listing examples, inferring, and basic reading comprehension questions.
The set also makes use of nonfiction text features. You will find the use of bold print, bulleted lists, captions, a close-up, a fact box, a glossary, headings, illustrations, photos, subtitles, titles, and a Venn Diagram.
The four reading passages are provided in two reading levels- an easier and a more challenging. The reading selections are about skiing’s history, the story of Shaun White and Vonetta Flowers, the sport called the biathlon, and the sport of ice climbing.
In addition, a newspaper mock-up article page is included that has more reading selections. The articles include the hazards of snow biking, the sport of curling, and unusual winter sports. There is a comprehension question page for the newspaper set and 2 graphic organizers.
All answer keys are provided. Specific skills and Common Core standards are listed on the table of contents page.
NOTE: The reading selections for this resource were written for elementary students. The reading levels of the passages are appropriate for upper third grade through fifth grade. This set is perfect for centers, small groups, seat work, homework, or sub days!
Specific contents of this resource are:
- Selection 1 - A Brief History of Skiing in 2 reading levels
- Selection 2 - Never Give Up in 2 reading levels
- Selection 3 – An Exciting Combo in 2 reading levels
- Selection 4 –A Cool Sport in 2 reading levels
- Newspaper Page- 3 articles (The Hazards of Snow Biking, Curling is a Winter Sport, and Unusual Winter Choices)
- Newspaper Comprehension page and two graphic organizers
- Answer keys for all
- Table of Contents listing levels, skills, Common Core standards, and nonfiction text features
- Teacher's Guide with notes about reading levels, standards, organizations, and ideas for use
The reading passages in this set are available as part of a Winter Sports Boom set. Check the preview for more info!
Or grab the Escape Room and Printable Reading set in a bundle:
The 1-page magazine-style reading selection is available with 3 more pages in two formats! Check the preview for more info!
More Winter Resources:
- Snowman STEM Challenge
- Igloo STEM Challenge
- Snowflake STEM Challenge
- Ski Lift STEM Challenge
- Snowflakes Little Flipper
- Winter Math Grade 3-4
- Winter Math Grade 5
- Polar Regions Task Cards
- Polar Regions Nonfiction Boom Cards
- Winter Sports Escape Room
- Escape the Blizzard (printable only)
- Winter Digital & Printable Reading Passages
- Escape the Igloo (digital breakout)
You might also like these Print and Read resources:
- Animal Adaptations Print and Read
- Pirates Print and Read
- Spiders Print and Read
- Sharks Print and Read
- Weather Print and Read
- Space Print and Read
- Landforms Print and Read
- Volcanoes Print and Read
- Sports Print and Read
- Back to School Print and Read
- Gold Rush Print and Read
- Christmas Print and Read
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies, and product launches:
Click here to follow my store. It’s that easy to receive email updates about Teachers Are Terrific!
Keep in Touch!
Thank you so much,
Teachers Really are Terrific!