This eBook contains 20 original poems for an individual classroom use.
I am creating a resource to solve a problem I have. I figured others must have this problem as well. My students wear out my poetry books and they are expensive to replace. This pdf file can be reproduced as much as you want for a single classroom. It can also be used as an eBook on a laptop and many tablets. If you want to share this eBook with a colleague, please buy another site license.
Here are some ways that I use poetry in class:
1. Have students cut out or copy favorite poems into a poetry notebook and create their own illustrations.
2. Have students read poetry individually and with partners. Emphasize repeated readings for accuracy and fluency.
3. Read poetry in unison as a whole class.
4. Hold a poetry slam as a class. Students practice a poem to perform.
5. Model different writing forms for short writing assignments or free writing tasks.
6. Analyze poems for literary devices, rhyme, rhythm, and form.
7. Take a “poetry break”. I read short poems at the end of the day. There might be other short periods of time between lessons where this is appropriate.
8. Post poems around the room for students to discover.
I hope you enjoy poems for poetry notebooks in your classroom,
Mary J. Bauer