Also included in
- Looking for fun Christmas or winter activities that incorporate science, technology, engineering, and/or math? Christmas-Winter STEM / STEAM Challenges sure to engage with brain-busting work disguised as fun!Christmas and Winter STEM Challenge Activities Overview: Students work in partners or groupsPrice $8.98Original Price $17.50Save $8.52
- Super-charge your STEM class with 52 high-engagement, critical thinking, problem-solving, NGSS-aligned challenges to take you through the entire year! Modifications are included to make these activities engaging and challenging for students in grades 2 - 8. The basic premise: Students work in partnePrice $95.00Original Price $188.80Save $93.80
- Christmas and Winter STEM Challenges are the perfect activities to engage your students in brain-busting work disguised as fun when they've got the winter crazies! The basic premise:Working against a criteria/constraints list in partners or groups, students will design and build a “snowball” fortresPrice $5.98Original Price $7.96Save $1.98
Winter STEM activities keep your kids engaged in brain-busting work disguised as fun through all the craziness leading up to winter vacation!
Frozen Fortress Winter STEM Challenge Activity Overview:
Working against a criteria/constraints list in partners or groups, students will design and build a “snowball” fortress wall with two main criteria: greatest area (or just height or length for younger students) and ability to withstand a “snowball” attack.
Note: This is the printable version, though you can upload the editable handouts to Google Slides™ if desired. However, if you are in a 1:1 / paperless classroom, you may prefer the digital option designed specifically for use with GOOGLE SLIDES™ instead.
If you have questions about which version is right for you, please feel free to leave me a question using the product Q&A below.
NGSS aligned standards, Grades 2 – 8
- Links to my 5-part video series on getting started with STEM challenges
- Materials and timing
- Criteria & Constraints (including modifications to increase difficulty for older students)
- Measuring results
- Universal STEM Challenge Notes & How to Use Student Handouts Post-design extension activities list
- Link to a video walk-through of the challenge
- Criteria & Constraints List (in color and black & white)
- Design Analysis Handouts (2-page regular spacing and 4-page expanded spacing for primary students included) (in color and black & white)
- Discussion Questions (in color and B&W)
- Cold Synonyms, Antonyms, Similes, & Metaphors Handouts (editable)
- Process Flow Map
- Math Extension
This is one of five Winter / Christmas STEM Challenge Activities. They can be purchased in a bundle at a discount:
This resource is also available in the STEM CHALLENGE YEAR-ROUND MEGA-BUNDLE at an even greater discount!
Sample/suggested materials for each student or group:
(Materials you’ll need to do the activity are easily modified.)
- Marshmallows: large, mini, or a mix (35 – 50)
Sugar cubes or blocks can be substituted for building the fortress wall, but at least one marshmallow per student will still be needed for a “snowball” attack.
- Straws (10 – 15)
- Popsicle/craft sticks (10 – 15)
- Toothpicks (25 – 50)
- Small paper plates (1 or ½ of one)
- Work mat (construction paper, foil, newspaper, etc.)
– Plastic knives, forks, and/or spoons
– Pipe cleaners
– Spool of wire (gardening or steel)
What do teachers have to say about this resource?
"My students really enjoyed the activity and I appreciated the well thought out worksheets to go with it. It helps encourage thought and discussion even with a "fun" activity. It still helps build analytic thought, group work, reflection, etc. I appreciate that there were different levels all in one purchase as this makes it easier to differentiate. The extension activity was great, I actually use it as the morning work before we started on the activity to get the kids in the mindset of "okay, we are still in school but it will be fun." I'm a teacher that isn't in to the whole movie on the day before break so activities like this are perfect! Whew...okay, all that to say: thank you for taking the time to create this and share it!"
"Can't wait to introduce this challenge to my students. I love that all of your challenges are so engaging. Easy to follow instructions and clear connections to the standards.”
“A great activity for the week before Christmas break. It was messy fun for them and perfectly challenging.”
“Great for the winter doldrums!”
"This was such a great activity! I was able to successfully do this activity across a wide variety of grade levels!"
"Thank you so much for such a well thought out resource. The instructions were easy to follow and I love that there were many different levels included to meet the needs of my students. I love this resource!"
You might also like these resources:
STEM Challenges & Bundles (grades 2 – 8):
Please check out the video preview to see the challenge, and don’t hesitate to contact me with any questions!