Also included in
- Looking for fun Christmas or winter activities that incorporate science, technology, engineering, and/or math? Christmas-Winter STEM / STEAM Challenges sure to engage with brain-busting work disguised as fun!Christmas and Winter STEM Challenge Activities Overview: Students work in partners or groups$9.98$19.90Save $9.92
- Super-charge your STEM class with 52 high-engagement, critical thinking, problem-solving, NGSS-aligned challenges to take you through the entire year! Modifications are included to make these activities engaging and challenging for students in grades 2 - 8. The basic premise: Students work in partne$104.00$207.73Save $103.73
- Christmas and Winter STEM Challenges are the perfect activities to engage your students in brain-busting work disguised as fun when they've got the winter crazies! This challenge is perfect for distance learning and social distancing because the materials are incredibly simple! Every one can build t$5.98$7.96Save $1.98
Christmas and Winter STEM activities are the perfect way to engage your students in brain-busting work disguised as fun when they've got those winter crazies!
This STEM Challenge works for in-class and distance learning. The materials are incredibly simple and everyone can build their own sled & slope, if needed.
Sled & Slope Winter STEM Challenge Activity Overview:
Working against a criteria/constraints list in partners or groups, students will build a sleigh/sled and ramp designed to transport the people or gifts the greatest possible distance.
Note: there is a "" version for a winter (non-Christmas) activity as well as a "" version for Christmas included.
Note: This is the printable version, though you can upload the editable handouts to Google Slides™ if desired. However, if you are in a 1:1 / paperless classroom, you may prefer the digital option designed specifically for use with GOOGLE SLIDES™ instead.
If you have questions about which version is right for you, please feel free to leave me a question using the product Q&A below.
NGSS aligned standards, Grades 2 – 8
- Links to my 5-part video series on getting started with STEM challenges
- Materials and timing
- Criteria & Constraints (including modifications to increase difficulty for older students)
- Measuring results
- Universal STEM Challenge Notes & How to Use Student Handouts Post-design extension activities list
- Link to a video walk-through of the challenge
Student Handouts (two sets: one for Sleigh & Slope Christmas STEM Activity and one for Sled & Slope Winter STEM Activity)
- Criteria & Constraints List (in color and black & white)
- Design Analysis Handouts (2-page regular spacing and 4-page expanded spacing for primary students included) (in color and black & white)
- Discussion Questions (in color and B&W)
- Design an Experiment: Reducing Friction (editable; sample answers included)
- Process Flow Map
- Math Extension
This is one of five Winter / Christmas STEM Challenge Activities. They can be purchased in a bundle at a discount:
This resource is also available in the STEM CHALLENGE YEAR-ROUND MEGA-BUNDLE at an even greater discount!
Sample/suggested materials for each student or group:
(Materials you’ll need to do the activity are easily modified.)
- Cardboard, cardstock, cereal box, or paper plates
- Pipe cleaners (5 – 10)
- Small bows (2)
Bows are to symbolize gifts; small candies can be substituted (If you’re doing the Sled & Slope version, you’ll need small people to ride the sleds. Think: little, plastic, green army men. Two riders will work well.)
- Popsicle/craft sticks (10 – 15)
- Rubber bands (5 – 10)
- Foil (12 – 24 in.)
- Straws (5 – 10)
- Tape (12 – 24 in.)
- Ruler or measuring tape
• Wood scraps
• Paper bags
• Coffee filters
• Plastic cutlery
• Balloons (rocket boosters)
• Cable ties
What do teachers have to say about this resource?
" My classes loved these activities. They were discussing and figuring out ways to improve their projects too. They learned a lot from these.”
“My second-graders had a great time with this challenge. It fit in well with our unit on motion, position and force. Thanks!”
“I love these STEM projects. The kids go crazy over them :)”
You might also like these resources:
STEM Challenges & Bundles (grades 2 – 8):