Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing. How to unzip files.
25.23 MB | 28 pages
Going out for a winter walk? Take along this 20-item illustrated checklist and hold a scavenger hunt! Kids love discovering and collecting pinecones, oak leaves, maple seeds, and other items they can easily find on the ground during the winter. Observe nature, learn about trees and plants, and have fun!
This packet includes:
* One-page checklist with easy-to-understand illustrations. Children do not need to be readers yet to use it. It comes as a printable PDF, but the packet also contains a Word version if you want to edit it yourself, e.g. to show only a few items for very young children.
* Instructions and suggestions for a fun, safe scavenger hunt. (You'll want to bring along collection envelopes, for instance.)
* Several pages of original botanical notes about the items -- what are these things? What trees do they come from? Why do they look the way they do? You can read this yourself to be prepared for questions and conversations, or you could give it directly to older children.
* Mounting pages for a lapbook or poster, to put the items on display. These too come as both a print-ready PDF and an editable Word doc, so you can customize it to your heart's content.
* A worksheet of questions with short written answers, in case you want a less crafty follow-up activity.
Originally this hunt was developed for New England, but these plants and trees are really so common that you can probably use the packet just about anywhere in the continental USA. Enjoy!