WISHTREE is at first glance a middle grade novel about a tree and animals, but this story is also a message book. This middle grades book is recommended for ages 10-14, but would be great for high school special education students and high school struggling readers. It would be a wonderful read aloud for 3-5 graders.
Red is an oak tree who is many rings old. Red is the neighborhood "wishtree"—and every May 1st people write their wishes on pieces of cloth and tie them to Red's branches. Along with her crow friend Bongo and other animals who seek refuge in Red's hollows, this "wishtree" watches over the neighborhood. You might say Red has seen it all. Until a new family moves in. Not everyone is welcoming, and Red's experiences as a wishtree are more important than ever.
Unit Information – 23 total pages
This novel study includes:
• 202 Novel Study Q & A (6 pages)
• 202 Novel study Questions separated by Chapters (5 pages)
• Novel Answer Page with page numbers (separate pages) – (5 pages) The questions are only literal questions that can be used as daily running quizzes as students read the novel. (Editable Documents) Instructors are free to create their own higher order thinking questions for this novel.
• Vocabulary Handout (15 words) - (1 page)
• Vocabulary Definitions (1 page)
• Novel Study Test with answers (5 pages)