The list of Common Core exemplar texts are out! These are books that are at the appropriate high levels for students to be reading and listening to.
These exemplar texts can also be found in SPANISH and are great read- alouds for DUAL LANGUAGE and BILINGUAL classrooms.
One of the Common Core exemplar Read-Aloud texts is the "Wizard of Oz" or "Maravilloso Mago de Oz" (along with this mini-unit, you will see a list of ALL of the common core standards it covers) After reading this novel to your class, use these assessment worksheets to check your students comprehension and understanding, understanding of setting, and understanding of the plot. The worksheets are decorated with adorable clip art of the characters that your students will love! There are also worksheets with the characters that allow your students to write adjectives about Dorothy, the Tin-man, the Scarecrow, and the Lion, and more!
As an extension, show your class the movie AFTER you've read the novel as a class. Then use the comparison worksheets to have your students compare and contrast the two. Finally, your students can write an opinion piece on which one they liked better-the movie or the book- and why. (Writing opinion pieces is a common core standard)
This 42 page pack includes:
1. Comprehension questions
2. Retelling/Summarizing organizers (pictures and writing)
3. Setting organizers, including drawing and describing organizers and comprehension setting organizers
4. Character description worksheets (2 versions for each character) of Dorothy, Scarecrow, Tin Man, Lion, Glinda, and the Wicked Witch
5. Character detail worksheets, using a picture symbol from the book to describe a character
6. Movie and book comparison worksheets
7. Opinion organizer and writing worksheets- Do you like the movie or book better?
8. Opinion organizer and writing worksheets- What do you wish was at the end of the yellow brick road?
9. 3 versions of a drawing worksheet to go along with the opinion writings
I hope these worksheets are helpful with your Spanish speaking or Spanish learning students! If you love the product, but wish it was available in ENGLISH, you're in luck! Follow this link http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Wizard-of-Oz-Exemplar-Text-Comp-QuestionsOrganizers-MovieBook-Comparison-597756 to my friend's TpT store for the ENGLISH VERSION of this pack.
Do you love it? Look at her other great products here: