Wolf Hollow is a 2017 Newberry Honor Book written by Lauren Wolk. I've read it three times now, and I love it even more. Set in 1943 in rural Pennsylvania, the story is a coming-of-age story. Annabelle comes face to face with a bully and a lost soul. The book is unexpected and gripping. I can't wait to share it with my students!
My study includes:
1. I call them "quick comprehension questions" because they are intended to be answered after each chapter--independently or as a group. I have a set for each chapter.
2. Characterization Analysis: I use descriptions from the book for three characters. Students use the descriptive words and phrases to explain how the words and phrases help them to understand the character. This is a way of writing a short character description. I have given a sample response for each character to help struggling students.
3. Figurative Language Identification: I've chosen some of the figurative language for students to identify as simile, metaphor, personification, or idiom.
4. Analysis of Significant Text: Excerpts of text are given and students are asked to explain why the text is important. This is to be done AFTER reading the entire book. I have given sample answers in the key to help.
5. Theme: A theme is suggested. Students are asked to find three pieces of evidence from the novel to prove the theme. I have given suggested answers too.
6. Writing about Theme: Students are asked to use their evidence to write an essay proving the theme. A sample essay has been provided to help.
7. Each chapter has a journal writing prompt.
8. Vocabulary and Writing: Students are asked to choose 10 words from the vocabulary list and explain how the meaning of the word connects to the meaning of the story. I provide an example to show students a possible response.
9. Glossary of Vocabulary Words
10. Research Ideas
11. Five quizzes: true-false; matching; vocabulary.
12. Answer Keys!!!!
Wolf Hollow--Comprehension and More
by Dianne Watson
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License