This teaching unit includes resources for the informational text “Women in Aviation” which is included on page 43 in the 7th grade Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Collections textbook. The article itself is not included in this packet. This article is found on page 43 in the textbook.
The following Common Core aligned lessons/activities are included:
• Close Reading Guide – Twenty-seven questions are included in this guide. This will require students to slow down as they read to comprehend. The guide divides the text into smaller portions, and after students read each portion, they stop to answer the questions. These questions require students to infer along with comprehend what is written in the text.
• Finding the Main Idea Using the W.I.N. Strategy- This is a strategy that you can use with other informational texts as well! Directions are included to help you understand how the strategy works and an activity sheet for the students to use with this text is also included. A sample key is included as well.
• Analyze the Development of the Central Idea – Students will analyze and map out how the author developed this central idea.
• Text Dependent Analysis Questions – We are including out R.A.C.E. strategy to help you teach students how to effectively answer text dependent questions. A handout is included with questions where students can use this strategy, and sample answers are included as well.
• Vocabulary in Context- Two handouts are included, one where students read the word in context and write a definition. Once this is complete, students can use their answers to complete the second handout, which includes the same sentences but with multiple choice answers.
• K.I.M. Vocabulary Strategy – This is another strategy that you can use not only with this text but with anything you read all year!
• Writing an Objective Summary – Handouts and examples are provided to help your students know exactly how to write an objective summary for nonfiction. A sample objective summary is included!
• Top Ten Facts from the Text – With this activity, students will have the opportunity to record what they have learned from this text.
• Famous Names in the History of Aviation – Students will write down important information about the famous people mentioned.
• Research Opportunity – This is an enrichment activity.
This teaching unit is JAM-PACKED with strategies, activities, and Common-Core based materials. This is not a generic worksheet kind of packet. You will LOVE these activities, and you will be able to use a lot of what is included with other informational articles that you teach as well!