Wonder by J.C. Palacio is a wonderful story for middle grade students. It follows the story of August Pullman, a boy born with severe facial birth defects. Palacio tells the story from Auggie's perspective and from the perspective of his sister, and friends. It will make your students cheer. It opens the door for very good class discussions on peer pressure and acceptance.
I am always concerned about my boys in the classroom. Boys don't always like books that girls like, but both girls and boys will love this story.
My novel studies are designed to lead students to deeper thought about text while always focusing on the text for evidence.
The novel study includes:
1. Chapter comprehension and critical thinking questions.
2. I have included vocabulary and writing within the chapter questions.
3. Analysis of point of view and perspective.
4. Analyzing theme with an example.
5. Text to text connections using lyrics, fiction, nonfiction, with space for annotations. A writing example is included.
Wonder: A Novel Study
by Dianne Watson
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License