Engage your students in project-based learning!
Since 2012, readers from around the world have been captivated with the children’s novel, Wonder, written by R.J. Palacio. Whether it is the unforgettable plot, the heart-warming characters, or the captivating style of writing, there is so much to love about this novel.
For this project, students complete 12 activities related to Wonder (Auggie Pullman, Via Pullman, Jack Will, Summer Dawson, Charlotte Cody, Julian Albans, Mr. Browne's Precepts, Beecher Prep, Treecher Collins Syndrome, The Astronaut Helmet) and construct a 12-sided polyhedron called a dodecahedron to showcase their learning. These can be hung from the ceiling and are beautiful on display.
For each pentagon, students are asked to answer the guiding questions and complete the challenges through conducting research. To communicate their learning, students write and draw pictures within each pentagon. After completing the 12 pentagons, students follow step-by-step instructions to construct their dodecahedrons.
- Title Page
- Thank you / Copyright Page
- Project Rationale
- Step by Step Instructions
- How To Conduct Research Page
- Research Notes Page
- Pentagon #1 - Title Page
- Pentagon #2 - August "Auggie" Pullman
- Pentagon #3 - Olivia "Via" Pullman
- Pentagon #4 - Jack Will
- Pentagon #5 - Summer Dawson
- Pentagon #6 - Charlotte Cody
- Pentagon #7 - Julian Albans
- Pentagon #8 - Mr. Browne's Precepts
- Pentagon #9 - Beecher Prep
- Pentagon #10 - Treecher Collins Syndrome
- Pentagon #11 - The Astronaut Helmet
- Pentagon #12 - Reference List
- Dodecahedron Construction Page (w/ Photos)
- Reference List Instructions
- Project Example Photos
- Student Self-Assessment Write-Up (2-pages)
- Project Rubric
Project-Based Learning (PBL) is a student-centered pedagogy in which students are challenged to actively learn about a subject for an extended period of time. It is a form of active learning or inquiry-based learning. Project-Based Learning is in contrast to paper-based, rote memorization, or teacher-led instruction that presents established facts. Please be aware of what you are purchasing.
Thanks so much,
Followers Get Premium Access
• Look for the green star next to our store logo at the top right corner of this page and click it to become a follower. This will allow you to be notified each time we debut a new product or freebie!
Tags: wonder, wonder novel, wonder book, palacio, novel study, no prep, print and go, research project, dodecahedron, craft, craftivity, project based learning, steam, stem