WONDER BUNDLE INCLUDES:
Discussion & Read-Aloud Guide and Unit Plan for Wonder by R. J. Palacio
NOTICE: THIS PRODUCT INCLUDES WONDER UNIT PLAN AND WONDER DISCUSSION & READ-ALOUD GUIDE EACH SOLD SEPARATELY. IF YOU HAVE PURCHASED EITHER OF THESE PRODUCTS DO NOT PURCHASE THIS BUNDLE.
WONDER Unit Plan Includes:
• WONDER Unit Plan – 97 pages (with individual lesson plans and unit resources) (PDF)
• WONDER Unit Plan Student Literary Log – 16 pages (PDF)
• WONDER Unit Plan PowerPoint Guide – 136 slides (PowerPoint)
• WONDER Unit Plan PowerPoint - Teacher Guide (PDF)
• WONDER Unit Plan PowerPoint Game – 51 slides (Formative Assessment : Fabulous Funday Games 1, 2, & 3) (PowerPoint)
• WONDER Unit Plan PowerPoint Game Answer Key (PDF)
WONDER Read-Aloud Guide includes:
• Guidelines for Using the Read-Aloud Teacher Guide, PowerPoint, and Student Literary Log
• 23 page Read-Aloud Teacher Guide that includes vocabulary, teacher suggestions, and prompts
• 35 page Literary Log for prompts that indicate writing
• 2 page (8 bookmarks) Reproducible student bookmarks
• 33 page PowerPoint Outline
• 162 Slide PowerPoint Presentation
8 Files Included in WONDER BUNDLE Zip File download:
1. WONDER Read Aloud Guide PDF (PDF file includes Teacher Read-Aloud Guide, Student Literary Log, PowerPoint Outline, & Student Bookmarks. PowerPoint file includes Student Response Prompts.)
2. WONDER Read Aloud Literary Log PowerPoint
3. WONDER Unit Plan – 97 pages (with individual lesson plans and unit resources) (PDF)
4. WONDER Unit Plan Student Literary Log – 16 pages (PDF)
5. WONDER Unit Plan PowerPoint Guide – 136 slides (PowerPoint)
6. WONDER Unit Plan PowerPoint - Teacher Guide (PDF)
7. WONDER Unit Plan PowerPoint Game – 51 slides (Formative Assessment : Fabulous Funday Games 1, 2, & 3) (PowerPoint)
8. WONDER Unit Plan PowerPoint Game Answer Key (PDF)
Unit Plan for Wonder by R. J. Palacio
The unit plan for Wonder is designed to engage your students. Students are provided opportunities to analyze setting, identify, describe and analyze characters and their relationships, use inquiry processes to determine how and why characters make decisions, identify and understand the author’s use of language, and use text references and quotes to infer meaning. The unit employs multiple delivery modalities, facilitates students’ cognitive thinking skills, and uses a constructivist approach to teaching and learning. Lesson plans are student-centered and are ready to implement.
This unit is planned as a 4 week unit outline, however, easily adaptable to 5 to 6 weeks.
Key Knowledge and Skills
• analyze main characters.
• determine emerging themes.
• infer meaning of text.
• analyze the plot to determine their positions on critical statements.
• engage in decision making processes individually and with others.
• explore the power of words to convey meaning
• interpret text explicitly and draw inferences about what main characters think and feel.
• analyze the relationship between characters and dialogue in the plot to see how characters are revealed.
Individual Lesson Plans
Each lesson plan is complete with an implementation plan that includes learning objectives, list of materials, academic language, engagement strategy, statement of purpose, and an instructional plan divided by specific activities. All lesson plans include student handouts and corresponds to a Unit PowerPoint Presentation. Lessons are designed to be completed in one or two class periods, however, you have the flexibility to expand each lesson to meet the needs of your students or chunk lessons into smaller segments. The detail in each lesson plan allows you to create a unit plan that works for your students and your schedule.
Instructional Schedule for the Wonder Unit Plan
The Instructional Schedule for the Wonder Unit Plan is intended as a guide. Pacing may vary depending on the needs of your students and the length of each class period. Each class period includes the appropriate lesson plan or activity, list of handouts, assignments, and a place for notes.
Unit PowerPoint Presentation
The Unit PowerPoint Presentation coordinates with each lesson plan with teaching notes. The purpose of this presentation is to provide information visually. Slides include graphics, which serve as clues for students who are visual or English is not their first language.
Discussion & Read-Aloud Guide for Wonder by R. J. Palacio
The novel study for Wonder by R. J. Palacio, includes a Discussion and Read-Aloud Guide, accompanying PowerPoint Presentation, a Literary Log for students, and bookmarks. The Discussion and Read-Aloud Guide is comprised of questions and prompts for each chapter and offers teaching suggestions, vocabulary, and prompts for students with suggestions for a variety of ways in which students might respond to these prompts: Teacher-Led Discussion, Pair-Share, Write-Pair-Share-Class-Share, and Individual Student Response. Prompts are designed to increase the relevancy of the novel and facilitate critical thinking. Many of the prompts could be used for longer writing pieces or mini-projects.
Students like to talk and this novel study engages and encourages discussion. It can be used with the whole class, small groups, individual students. An accompanying PowerPoint Presentation facilitates student activities and can be utilized by teachers or students. The Literary Log for students includes all the prompts and activities in both the Discussion Guide and PowerPoint Presentation. Graphics on both the PowerPoint slides and the Literary Log serve as visual clues; works especially well with students whose first language is not English. The Literary Log for Wonder can be used by a whole class as well as small groups of students or individual students reading Wonder independently. Reproducible bookmarks can be used to discuss bookmark quotes, form groups, or simply keep students’ place in the novel.
Other Novel Studies
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
Mockingbird by Kathryn Erskine
The Giver by Lois Lowry
Son by Lois Lowry
Visit our blogs: Surviving to Thriving
and Surviving to Thriving LjL