- Product Description
What happens when a great book, creative task cards and engaging doodle notes combine? A Doodle and Do resource, of course!
This Doodle and Do resource is designed for students to complete after reading the novel, Wonder, by R.J. Palacio. It combines fun task cards with doodle notes. The task cards require students to write, chat, swap, and draw in response to questions about the book. Then, students add their responses to fun doodle notes for the novel. This resource will have your students evaluating the text, connecting to the novel, summarizing critical elements in the book, and working creatively and collaboratively every step of the way!
About the task cards:
There are four different types of task cards in this resource (12 cards in all). The task cards are super unique because they encourage students to respond and react to the text in really creative ways. When students pick the “WRITE” task cards, they respond in writing on their Doodle Notes. The “CHAT” task cards encourage discussions before students jot down the conversation highlights on their Doodle Notes. Of course, there’s a set of “DRAW” task cards! Students will create doodles and sketches on their notes in response to the draw cards. And…just to make things super fun and engaging, there’s a set of “SWAP” cards. When students pick a swap card, they’ll switch their Doodle Notes with a classmate and respond to the task card on one another’s papers! The creative task cards are not only fun, they also require students to truly reflect on the novel in meaningful ways!
About the doodle notes:
Just the format of Doodle Notes makes learning instantly more engaging! This resource includes 2 pages of Doodle Notes. The notes are filled with shapes and doodle sketches where students will add their responses to the task card questions. Students will write in lockers and on a chalkboard, add discussion highlights in thought bubbles, and doodle in fun shapes. The end result is a set of Doodle Notes that are not only fun to look at, but filled with students’ understandings of the book!
How to use this resource:
The coolest part about this resource is that it’s super versatile. There are many ways to incorporate the task cards and Doodle Notes into your classroom…
- Just copy a single set of the task cards and have students work as class to respond to each task card on their Doodle Notes one task card at a time.
- Divide students into small groups and let them work together to progress through each of the task cards while they complete their Doodle Notes.
- Set up learning stations for each type of task card. Then, have students rotate around the classroom as they fulfill the tasks at each station.
Included in this Doodle and Do resource:
• Teacher Overview
• Teaching Ideas – Detailed instructions for 3 teaching options
• How to Complete the Doodle Notes
• Student Directions for the Task Cards and Doodle Notes
• 4 Learning Station Cards (in case you choose to do learning stations in your classroom)
• 12 Task Cards for the novel (3 chat cards, 3 write cards, 3 draw cards, 3 swap cards)
• 2 pages of Doodle Notes
Other Doodle and Do Resources…
- Figurative Language Unit - Simile, Metaphor, Personification, Hyperbole, Onomatopoeia, Alliteration
- Doodle and Do Reading Skills bundle! - Making Inferences, Finding the Main Idea, Fact & Opinion, Sequencing, and Summarizing
- 5 Nonfiction Text Structure Mini-Units - Problem/Solution, Compare and Contrast, Descriptive, Chronological Order, and Cause and Effect
- How to Study for a Test Doodle Notes and 5 Learning Stations
- Writing Responses with Text-Based Evidence Doodle Notes and 5 Learning Stations
- Poet and Poem Study - Maya Angelou
You may also like:
File Folder Book Project - Any book!
Independent Reading Program - 6 week book study
20 Creative Reading Response Activities - Any book!
Following is Fun!
Get the inside scoop on all store discounts, free products, and product launches. Just click the green “Follow Me” star under my store name on this page or click the green “Follow Me” star on my store homepage.
Let’s Stay in Touch!
Brain Waves Instruction
Doodle notes is a trademarked term used with permission. Please visit doodlenotes.org for more information.