Unit Plan for Wonder by R. J. Palacio
The unit plan for Wonder is designed to engage your students. Students are provided opportunities to analyze setting, identify, describe and analyze characters and their relationships, use inquiry processes to determine how and why characters make decisions, identify and understand the author’s use of language, and use text references and quotes to infer meaning. The unit employs multiple delivery modalities, facilitates students’ cognitive thinking skills, and uses a constructivist approach to teaching and learning. Lesson plans are student-centered and are ready to implement.
This unit is planned as a 4 week unit outline, however, easily adaptable to 5 to 6 weeks.
Grade Level Appropriateness
Key Knowledge and Skills
• analyze main characters.
• determine emerging themes.
• infer meaning of text.
• analyze the plot to determine their positions on critical statements.
• engage in decision making processes individually and with others.
• explore the power of words to convey meaning
• interpret text explicitly and draw inferences about what main characters think and feel.
• analyze the relationship between characters and dialogue in the plot to see how characters are revealed.
Individual Lesson Plans
Each lesson plan is complete with an implementation plan that includes learning objectives, list of materials, academic language, engagement strategy, statement of purpose, and an instructional plan divided by specific activities. All lesson plans include student handouts and corresponds to a Unit PowerPoint Presentation. Lessons are designed to be completed in one or two class periods, however, you have the flexibility to expand each lesson to meet the needs of your students or chunk lessons into smaller segments. The detail in each lesson plan allows you to create a unit plan that works for your students and your schedule.
Instructional Schedule for the Wonder Unit Plan
The Instructional Schedule for the Wonder Unit Plan is intended as a guide. Pacing may vary depending on the needs of your students and the length of each class period. Each class period includes the appropriate lesson plan or activity, list of handouts, assignments, and a place for notes.
Unit PowerPoint Presentation
The Unit PowerPoint Presentation coordinates with each lesson plan with teaching notes. The purpose of this presentation is to provide information visually. Slides include graphics, which serve as clues for students who are visual or English is not their first language.
6 Files Included in Zip File download:
• Wonder Unit Plan – 97 pages (with individual lesson plans and unit resources) (PDF)
• Student Literary Log – 16 pages (PDF)
• Wonder Unit PowerPoint Presentation – 136 slides (PowerPoint)
• Wonder Unit PowerPoint Presentation- Teacher Guide (PDF)
• WONDER PowerPoint Game – 51 slides (Formative Assessment: Fabulous Funday Games 1, 2, & 3) (PowerPoint)
• Wonder PowerPoint Game Answer Key (PDF)
Visit our blogs: Surviving to Thriving
and Surviving to Thriving LjL