This supplemental pack is aligned to the Wonders 2020 curriculum for 5th grade.
Please check the publication date of your curriculum. Wonders supplements aligned to 2017 for Unit 5 are available here:
2017 Unit 5 BUNDLE
This Wonders Grade 5 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 5, Weeks 3 and 4 (Bud, Not Buddy). The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Literature Anthology (Main and Paired Selection), Vocabulary, and Spelling sections of the curriculum. Complete answer keys are included.
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous. The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Wonders lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
- Revising and Confirming Predictions - interactive notebook
- Comparing Characters – interactive notebook
- Author's Purpose – interactive notebook
- Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
- Drawing Idioms - interactive notebook
- Spelling Sort – interactive notebook
- Making Predictions - Students make predictions as they read the text for the first time. They record the story details that lead to each prediction, as well.
- Revising and Confirming Predictions - Students choose one prediction to either confirm or revise, depending on whether the prediction was correct.
- Story Summary – Students write a summary of the story. They are challenged to include vocabulary words in their summary. Transition words are provided.
- Compare and Contrast: Characters – Students complete the graphic organizer as they read, noting an important event and how 4 characters respond to the event.
- Compare and Contrast: Characters (Fill-in) - Students write how each character responds to an important event.
- Contrasting Characters - Students write 1-2 paragraphs contrasting how Herman Calloway and Steady Eddie react to Bud’s presence in their lives.
- Main Selection Text Questions - Students must have access to the text to complete the text-dependent questions.
- Paired Selection Text Questions - Students must have access to the text to complete the text-dependent questions.
- Essential Question – Students journal write about the story’s essential question.
Vocabulary & Differentiated Spelling Supplements:
- Vocabulary Word Wall Words – The 8 vocabulary words are available to be used on a word wall.
- Vocabulary - Students define each vocabulary word and use it in a sentence.
- Vocabulary: Context Clues - Students use context clues to complete each sentence with the correct vocabulary word.
- Vocabulary: Definitions - Students match each word to its definition.
- Vocabulary: Idioms - Students match each idiom to its meaning.
- Weeks 3 & 4 Spelling: Lists - Three spelling lists are available, differentiated like in the curriculum (Approaching, On Level, and Beyond.) The levels are represented with a shape in the corner of the page so students are less aware of the level. There are 3 lists per page for students to cut and use with their spelling assignments.
- Weeks 3 & 4 Spelling: 3 Times Each - Students write the words three times each.
- Weeks 3 & 4 Spelling: Sorts - Students sort each word into the correct column.
- Week 3 Spelling: My Own Word Search - Student write the spelling words in the grid, hiding them among other letters.
- Week 4 Spelling: Rainbow Words - Students write the spelling words in rainbow order.
Looking for more Wonders 2017?
Grade 2 supplements found here
Grade 3 supplements found here
Grade 4 supplements found here
Grade 5 supplements found here
Looking for Wonders 2020?
Grade 2 supplements (2020)
Grade 3 supplements (2020)
Grade 4 supplements (2020)
Grade 5 supplements (2020)
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed nor endorsed by McGraw Hill Education.