This supplemental pack is aligned to the Wonders 2017 curriculum for 2nd grade.
This Wonders Grade 2 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 4, Week 4 (How the Beetle Got Her Colors). The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Literature Anthology (Main and Paired Selection), Vocabulary, and Spelling sections of the curriculum. Complete answer keys are included.
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous. The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Wonders lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
- Visualizing – interactive notebook
- Theme – interactive notebook
- Author's Purpose - interactive notebook
- Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
- Spelling Sort– interactive notebook
- Visualizing - Students draw their visualization of how Beetle felt when being teased by Agouti, and then draw a visualization of how Beetle felt after winning the race.
- Visualizing: Picture Summary - Students draw a picture summary of the story. They include the most important events from the beginning, middle, and end.
- Theme - Students write the theme of the story and 3 clues that helped them to determine the theme.
- Supporting the Theme - Students support the provided theme with 3 clues from the story.
- Main Selection Text Questions - Students must have access to the text to complete the text-dependent questions.
- Paired Selection Text Questions - Students must have access to the text to complete the text-dependent questions.
- Essential Question – Students journal write about the story’s essential question.
Vocabulary & Differentiated Spelling Supplements:
- Vocabulary Word Wall Words – The 8 vocabulary words are available to be used on a word wall.
- Vocabulary - Students define each vocabulary word and use it in a sentence.
- Using Context Clues - Students complete the sentences with the correct vocabulary words using context clues.
- Vocabulary: Definitions - Students match each vocabulary word to its definition.
- Vocabulary: Root Words - Students complete the “equations” to make words with roots and prefixes.
- Spelling Lists - Three spelling lists are available, differentiated like in the curriculum (Approaching, On Level, and Beyond.) The levels are represented with a shape in the corner of the page so students are less aware of the level. There are 3 lists per page for students to cut and use with their spelling assignments.
- Spelling 3 Times Each - Students write the words three times each.
- Spelling Sorts (differentiated) - Each list has a sort.
- Spelling: Vowels and Consonants - Students write the spelling words using two colors. One color is used to write consonants and one is used to write vowels.
- High Frequency Word Wall Words - The 10 high frequency words are available to be cut and hung for use on a Word Wall.
Looking for more Wonders?
Grade 2 supplements found here
Grade 3 supplements found here
Grade 4 supplements found here
Grade 5 supplements found here
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed nor endorsed by McGraw Hill Education.