This supplemental pack is aligned to the Wonders 2017 curriculum for 2nd grade.
This Wonders Grade 2 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 4, Week 5 ("April Rain Song" and "Rain Poem"). The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Literature Anthology (Main and Paired Selection), Vocabulary, and Spelling sections of the curriculum. Complete answer keys are included.
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous. The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Wonders lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
- Visualizing – interactive notebook
- Theme – interactive notebook
- Author's Purpose - interactive notebook
- Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
- Similes - coloring
- Spelling Sort– interactive notebook
- Visualizing - Students draw a visualization they had while reading “April Rain Song.” They describe the visualization and how it relates to the poem.
- Theme - Students read to determine the theme of “April Rain Song.” They support the theme with 3 clues from the poem.
- Supporting the Theme - Students support the provided theme of “April Rain Song” with 3 clues from the poem.
- Main Selection Text Questions - Students must have access to the text to complete the text-dependent questions.
- Paired Selection Text Questions - Students must have access to the text to complete the text-dependent questions.
- Essential Question – Students journal write about the story’s essential question.
Vocabulary & Differentiated Spelling Supplements:
- Vocabulary Word Wall Words – The 4 vocabulary words are available to be used on a word wall.
- Vocabulary - Students define each vocabulary word and use it in a sentence.
- Using Context Clues - Students complete the sentences with the correct vocabulary words using context clues.
- Vocabulary: Context Clues and Definition Matching - Students use context clues to complete sentences with the vocabulary words. They also match each word to its definition.
- Vocabulary: Similes - Students color the umbrella next to each example of a simile.
- Spelling Lists - Three spelling lists are available, differentiated like in the curriculum (Approaching, On Level, and Beyond.) The levels are represented with a shape in the corner of the page so students are less aware of the level. There are 3 lists per page for students to cut and use with their spelling assignments.
- Spelling 3 Times Each - Students write the words three times each.
- Spelling Sorts (differentiated) - Each list has a sort.
- Spelling: Triangles - Students write their spelling words, one word at a time, so the words take the shape of triangles.
- High Frequency Word Wall Words - The 10 high frequency words are available to be cut and hung for use on a Word Wall.
Looking for more Wonders?
Grade 2 supplements found here
Grade 3 supplements found here
Grade 4 supplements found here
Grade 5 supplements found here
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed nor endorsed by McGraw Hill Education.