This supplemental pack is aligned to the Wonders 2017 curriculum for 5th grade.
This Wonders Grade 5 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 4, Week 5 (Words Free as Confetti and Dreams.) The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Literature Anthology (Main and Paired Selection), Vocabulary, and Spelling sections of the curriculum. Complete answer keys are included.
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous. The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Wonders lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
- Visualize - interactive notebook
- Theme – interactive notebook
- Author's Purpose – interactive notebook
- Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
- Vocabulary: Similes and Metaphors - coloring
- Spelling Sort – interactive notebook
- Visualize - Students draw visualizations they had while reading the poems. They describe their visualizations in words.
- Theme – Read the poems to determine the theme, and support the theme with 3 details.
- Supporting the Theme – Students support the provided theme from Words Free as Confetti with 3 details from the poem.
- Supporting the Theme - Student support the provided theme from Dreams with 3 details from the poem.
- Main Selection Text Questions - Students must have access to the text to complete the text-dependent questions.
- Paired Selection Text Questions - Students use evidence from the text to answer text-dependent comprehension questions about the poem.
- Essential Question – Students journal write about the poem's essential question.
Vocabulary & Differentiated Spelling Supplements:
- Vocabulary Word Wall Words – The 4 vocabulary words are available to be used on a word wall.
- Vocabulary - Students define each vocabulary word and use it in a sentence.
- Vocabulary: Context Clues and Definitions - Students use context clues to complete each sentence with the correct vocabulary word. They also match each word to its definition.
- Vocabulary: Similes & Metaphors - Students color the cacti next to each sentence depending upon whether it is a simile or metaphor.
- Spelling Lists - Three spelling lists are available, differentiated like in the curriculum (Approaching, On Level, and Beyond.) The levels are represented with a shape in the corner of the page so students are less aware of the level. There are 3 lists per page for students to cut and use with their spelling assignments.
- Spelling 3 Times Each - Students write the words three times each.
- Spelling Sort - Students write their spelling words in the correct sort.
- Spelling: Triangle Words - Students write the spelling words, one letter at a time, so that they take the shape of triangles.
Looking for More Wonders?
Grade 3 supplements found here
Grade 4 supplements found here
Grade 5 supplements found here
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed nor endorsed by McGraw Hill Education.