This supplemental pack is aligned to the Wonders 2017 curriculum for 5th grade.
This Wonders Grade 5 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 5, Week 1: Ida B. and Her Plans to Maximize Fun, Avoid Disaster, and (Possibly) Save the World. The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Literature Anthology (Main and Paired Selection), Vocabulary, and Spelling sections of the curriculum. Complete answer keys are included.
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous. The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Wonders lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
- Making Predictions - interactive notebook
- Comparing Settings – interactive notebook
- Author's Purpose – interactive notebook
- Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
- Spelling Sort – interactive notebook
- Making Predictions - Students make predictions as they read the text for the first time. They record the story details that lead to each prediction, as well.
- Revising and Confirming Predictions - Students choose one prediction to either confirm or revise, depending on whether the prediction was correct.
- Characters, Setting, Plot – Students complete the story map, noting the important characters, setting, and the important plot events.
- Compare and Contrast Settings: Venn Diagram – Students use the Venn diagram to compare and contrast the way Ida B. acts and feels at school and at home.
- Compare and Contrast Settings: Paragraph Form - Students write two paragraphs with topic sentences and supporting details. They compare and contrast how Ida B. acts both at school and at home.
- Main Selection Text Questions - Students must have access to the text to complete the text-dependent questions.
- Paired Selection Text Questions - Students must have access to the text to complete the text-dependent questions.
- Essential Question – Students journal write about the story’s essential question.
Vocabulary & Differentiated Spelling Supplements:
- Vocabulary Word Wall Words – The 8 vocabulary words are available to be used on a word wall.
- Vocabulary - Students define each vocabulary word and use it in a sentence.
- Vocabulary: Context Clues - Students use context clues to complete each sentence with the correct vocabulary word.
- Vocabulary: Definitions - Students match each word to its definition.
- Spelling Lists - Three spelling lists are available, differentiated like in the curriculum (Approaching, On Level, and Beyond.) The levels are represented with a shape in the corner of the page so students are less aware of the level. There are 3 lists per page for students to cut and use with their spelling assignments.
- Spelling 3 Times Each - Students write the words three times each.
- Spelling Sort - Students write the spelling words into the correct sort.
- Spelling: Triangle Words - Students write their spelling words, building with one letter at time, so that words that shaped as a triangle.
Looking for More Wonders?
Grade 3 supplements found here
Grade 4 supplements found here
Grade 5 supplements found here
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed nor endorsed by McGraw Hill Education.