This supplemental pack is aligned to the Wonders 2017 curriculum for 5th grade.
This Wonders Grade 5 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 5, Week 4 (When Is a Planet Not a Planet?) The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Literature Anthology (Main and Paired Selection), Vocabulary, and Spelling sections of the curriculum. Complete answer keys are included.
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous. The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Wonders lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
- Ask and Answer Questions - interactive notebook
- Cause and Effect – interactive notebook
- Author's Purpose – interactive notebook
- Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
- Spelling Sort – interactive notebook
- Ask and Answer Questions - Students answer questions about the text. Page numbers are provided to guide the student.
- Asking Questions - Students record any questions they have as they read. The questions are classified by Who, What, When, Where, Why, and How questions.
- Cause and Effect – Students read to determine the pattern of causes and effects in the story. They record causes and their effects.
- Providing the Cause or Effect – Students complete the pattern of causes and effects, providing the cause or effect, as needed.
- Making Connections - Students write a new sentence to help others remember the 8 planets in order of their distance from the sun.
- Main Selection Text Questions - Students must have access to the text to complete the text-dependent questions.
- Paired Selection Text Questions - Students use evidence from the text to answer questions about the text.
- Essential Question – Students journal write about the story’s essential question.
Vocabulary & Differentiated Spelling Supplements:
- Vocabulary Word Wall Words – The 8 vocabulary words are available to be used on a word wall.
- Vocabulary - Students define each vocabulary word and use it in a sentence.
- Vocabulary: Context Clues - Students use context clues to complete each sentence with the correct vocabulary word.
- Vocabulary: Definitions - Students match each word to its definition.
- Vocabulary: Greek Roots - Students use what they know about the Greek roots to match each word to its definition.
- Spelling Lists - Three spelling lists are available, differentiated like in the curriculum (Approaching, On Level, and Beyond.) The levels are represented with a shape in the corner of the page so students are less aware of the level. There are 3 lists per page for students to cut and use with their spelling assignments.
- Spelling 3 Times Each - Students write the words three times each.
- Spelling: Sort - Students sort the spelling words based on their suffix.
- Spelling: Rainbow Words - Students write the spelling words in rainbow order.
Looking for More Wonders?
Grade 3 supplements found here
Grade 4 supplements found here
Grade 5 supplements found here
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed nor endorsed by McGraw Hill Education.