Included are all of the activities that you will need for six centers to
reinforce Unit 1, Week 1 of the 1st Grade Wonders Reading Series. There are also many printables that can be used for review sheets, morning work, and fun activities
Weekly Spelling Words and High-Frequency Words are included for a Word Wall.
Common Core Standards are listed for the Language Arts and Math activities. This is a great supplement to your Wonders Reading Curriculum.
Spelling Center –
1. Rainbow write spelling words
2. Use letter tiles to spell the words
3. Find the correct frame for each spelling word
4. Write spelling words in ABC order
5. Word Search for spelling words
High-Frequency Word Center –
1. Use cards with the high-frequency words as flashcards
2. Use play-doh to spell each word
3. Use letter stamps to spell each word
4. Write the words and color the words correct
5. Color a birthday hat by coloring high-frequency words correctly
6. Maze Fun - Help the cat get to the rat by coloring your High-Frequency Words
Phonics Center –
1. Use a magnifying glass and find words with the short a: a sound, and then write the words on the recording sheet
2. Use a magnifying glass and search for words with Inflectional Ending -s, and write the words on the recording sheet
3. Phonics Sorting Game for short a/ Record the words
Listening Center –
After listening to or reading “Nar and Sam” answer questions about the story. Questions are included that review the comprehension skills for the week
Writing Center –
1. Read and trace a sentence. Write the sentence./ Draw a picture of the sentence. Then cut out the words and glue them in the correct order
2. Segment short a words and then write the word under the picture. (2 sheets)
3. Write your Spelling Words on lined paper
1. Match Vocabulary Words to their picture and definition.
2. Cut out each Vocabulary Word and glue it beside the picture that illustrates the word.
3. Draw a sketch of a Vocabulary Word and write the word.
(1) Color a cat correctly by reading short a words.
(2) Add to find spelling words.
(3) Read the story Sam's Cat- Find short a words and high-frequency words
(4) Answer questions about Sam's Cat/ Draw a picture
(5) Color a hundred's chart to find a spelling word.
(6) Roll the dice to practice writing short a words
(7) Write the correct word to finish the sentence.
(8) Color short a words to make a mat.
1. Circle the letter that needs to be capital with a red crayon.
Put a period at the end of the sentence.
2. Color the hat with"yes" if the words make a sentence
Color the hat with "no" if the words do not make a sentence