If your goal is to empower your students, make them feel smart and give them the ability to become independent learners. This book will absolutely, definitely help you meet that goal.
This book is not an exhaustive study of Greek and Latin morphemes (word parts). Most morphemes have multiple spellings and multiple meanings. Many have been modified over time. It would take years to learn them all. Instead, this book is a simplified, common-sense approach to learning the most frequently seen and heard morphemes in (from my experience) their most frequently used forms. It is a way for you to empower yourself and your student(s) with the ability to “figure out” the approximate meanings of thousands of words. That ability will result in better understanding of what is heard and read, and should result in higher test scores throughout your student(s) lives. Now, that’s a powerful gift!
Morphemes were thoughtfully selected, each was introduced in the context of words and sentences, ample activities were developed to activate the new information, and finally, student(s) were given plenty of opportunities to revisit (review) the new morphemes. It is now a book that can make a difference!
What is in this book?
• 10 sets of morphemes each containing three forms (Form A introduces the morphemes and activates the new knowledge. Form B is an activity that further activates the new knowledge and gives practice using it. Form C is a test.)
• 2 cumulative reviews to revisit the morphemes learned (one after Set #5 and the other after Set #10)
• Appendix A – Teacher Reference Guide – an alphabetical list of all the morphemes presented in this book, their meanings, and a sample word for each.
• Appendix B – Pre, Mid, and Posttest form
• Appendix C – 4-Square Activation form to be used to further activate the morphemes when extra activation and/or practice is needed
If you learn these morphemes along with your students, it will revolutionize your teaching. It will allow you to recognize and seize those countless teachable moments throughout your day.
By teaching the morphemes in this book to your student(s), you will forever change the way they think about words. You will give them the key to unlocking the meaning of words.
Practice is of utmost importance to retention. You can have your students make their own flashcards.
Look for our electronic flashcards that were created to go with this book. Just project them for whole class practice or download them to computers for individual and small group practice. There is a set of flashcards for each set of morphemes in the book PLUS two reviews: after Set #5 and after Set #10.
For INTERACTIVE Word Analysis lessons that can be played on smart boards, mimio boards, computers, and/or tablets visit TBLessons.com